Thursday, February 21, 2013

Candy,Clothes and Christ.

My sister and I

This picture is from 1961. My sister and I are getting ready to go to church for Easter Sunday services. Easter was on April 2 of that year. ( thanks Google ) The picture is dated May, but that is when it was developed. Remember in the old days when you sent it out to get developed ? Mom wasn't very prompt in doing that so as a result the dates on the pictures can be misleading. I was eight at the time but still remember the tie. It was a clip on. My sister had a new dress. She always got a new dress for Easter.
New clothes for Easter was a tradition. I don't think that tradition is followed as much these days. A few years back we bought the grand kids new outfits for Easter. We enjoyed doing that more than they enjoyed receiving them. I suppose you could say I tried to relive a piece of my past. I have pictures of them and I hope they at least keep that memory. 
I do remember going to church and everyone in their Easter finery. The ladies with their hats and gloves. The gentlemen with a new suit or perhaps just a new shirt and tie: suits are expensive. The colors were always so bright,a homage to spring. The sermon about the resurrection is embedded in my mind. After services we stopped to visit the aunts. The Easter bunny had left stuff for us there as well. Being a smart rabbit, he left those things along the way to lighten his load, knowing we would get them. Mom usually cooked a ham for dinner.
Easter was a holiday of clothes and candy. We dyed eggs of course, but those Easter baskets didn't appear until Easter morning.We got up early and were allowed to eat some of the candy and eggs. We didn't receive toys for Easter, just candy. Then it was time to get dressed for church. Mom would be fussing over our appearance. You had to look just right for this occasion. Pictures would be taken ! It was an event. I always enjoyed Easter and have many fond memories of celebrating it. He is risen ! As a child I never questioned why a bunny brought candy, was just happy that he did. Maybe the lesson here is, don't question everything, just believe. 

1 comment:

  1. I so loved the Easter suits and hats and spring coats! All bright colors - pinks, blues, greens, yellows! Church was a riot of color and the mood was very celebratory. We have many photos like that one, usually lined up outside on Easter Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete