Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Noteworthy

How many times do we say something is, noteworthy ? How often do we actually write a note about it ? Unless you are a journalist or reporter you probably don't. I know I do not. I may make a list of things I want, or things to do, but never make a note of things I did or witnessed. Even after I say, that was noteworthy. I suppose if one kept a diary or journal, one might do that. I write these little pieces of mine almost every day but would not classify them as a journal. They most certainly are not a diary. A diary is much more personal. There are times when I find it difficult to find something to write about; would be helpful if I had notes. Maybe I should start carrying a note book. I wonder ? Do they make an electronic version of a notebook ? One you can just jot notes into ? I don't think they do.
There are different degrees of noteworthiness. Some things you remember forever and others just fade away. Both may have been noteworthy at the time. Me, I love reading little notes. Either ones I've written, or notes written by others. I even like notes that I don't know what the subject matter is about. A mini mystery. I find lots of shopping lists at the store. People either leave them in the carts , put them on a shelf somewhere or just throw them on the floor. Most are boring, with just food items listed. Sometimes they have other little notes though. Personal reminders. I have never found a note in a bottle, but have sent them out. Never got a response back though.
When I was in grade school we would pass notes. Got caught at that a few times. The notes could be embarrassing. One teacher I had would make you " share " the note with the whole class. She would probably get sued for that today ! I'll still like to sue her, but I think the statute of limitations has expired. I should have made a note of that. Notes are reminders. I always did best on a test when you could use your notes. I knew the material alright, but those reminders were a big help.
And just what does it take to become a person " of note " ? Do you have to have your name "noted" somewhere ? In the big notebook ? Our names are recorded from birth, we are noted then. Whether or not we become someone of note, is left open for fate to decide. Should you not reach that level of acclaim, there is another possibility. You could become a " footnote". Now, footnotes support the data in the note. Couldn't you then say the footnotes are more important ? Notes without any supporting facts are just stories. A work of fiction. Footnotes lend credence to the story. If I wrote a book of notes, would it require footnotes ? Hmm.






No comments:

Post a Comment