Monday, February 4, 2013

Manly

So I'm watching the pregame hype, and the interviews with the players and coaches. The more I watched and listened the more I kept thinking. What happened to all the manly men ? If they weren't talking about how much they respect the other players, they were praying. Give me a break. And when the coaches start talking about how much they " love " their players, I can do nothing but shake my head. When they played the game for the " gipper " there was none of that nonsense going on. I can't help it, it is contrary to what I was taught as a young man. I was raised in the time of, men are men. We don't cry (in public anyway), you damn sure don't show affection toward another man beyond a firm handshake and don't go around complaining about everything. You didn't see John Wayne act that way !
I've written about this subject before. It is not just the football players. Look at the so called " cowboys " in country music. Wearing ear rings, their ball caps on backyards and the songs they sing. Not too many about Momma,trains and drinking anymore. More like my feelings, a four wheel drive truck and living a healthy lifestyle. Pooh. Just like the bear. Men, we are getting soft !
Now a man always had faith in God, he just didn't talk too much about that. Sure we loved our women and children, but we never felt the need to tell anyone other than them that. Why would I do that ? It is a given is it not ? Seems like the men of today are constantly seeking validation. Trying to get a gold star from the teacher or some other recognition. Was a day when doing the right thing was all that was necessary. You did what was right because, well, it was right.
Times and attitudes change. It is a brave new world. We are going to need some good men to lead. Where are they ? I'm not seeing much in that regard. Rhett Butler, John Wayne as, the quiet man, Jimmy Stuart, Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger. All a man among men. And that is the way it should be. My opinion, enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment