Saturday, February 16, 2013

Handle It

I'm no different than anyone else. I have been known to spend some time dreaming about winning the lottery. Thinking about what life would be like with all that money. It would certainly simplify things in some regards. The beginning of the month bill writing ritual for instance, done. No problem, no creative accounting tricks necessary. Just a simple straightforward deal. Wouldn't that be something ? And of course your material needs fulfilled instantly. New car,house,boat or whatever. The hardest decision being, which one. Or maybe just buying two. Beyond all of that though, life would get interesting. First off you are going to have a lot more friends. Then everyone else. Oh, the stress of it all. I'd risk it.
I do wonder if having a lot of money would really make a difference though. A difference in material things for sure, but what about a difference in you. Would you change ? I'm sure it has to change you in some ways. The thing would be to remain true to yourself. What would you do with that new found wealth ? Attempt to secure your legacy ? Or would you use it to secure the financial future of your children or grandchildren ? Give generously to those causes dear to your heart ? Would you flaunt that wealth or stay low key ? These are the questions I ponder.
As for me I'm not much on political correctness and/or following the current trends. I know that much about me would not change. The reality is I would use my wealth to get my way. That is truth, plain and simple. If a person is confident in their views and opinions that is what they do. Having funds to forward your causes is a definite plus. It is also true that wealthy people get listened too more than the poor. Not that wealth increases intelligence, sometimes quite the opposite, but they do get the ear. Given enough cash there are certain people that would get an earful from me. You can believe that.
I do believe in the end money makes little difference in the big scheme of things. Take a walk through the cemetery. Go to the largest stone or mausoleum. Do you recognize the name ? Are they relevant today ? They were obviously someone of wealth. Did their wealth make a difference ? Perhaps, perhaps not. There may be a town or street named after them. Maybe a park in their honor. In my estimation wealth follows accomplishment. It is a by product. Now, winning  the lottery would upset that natural balance. Maybe that is why so many that win these prizes wind up broke and forgotten. Still I think I could handle it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment