Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The way it was

There were a couple of things our family never did. One was all go to a restaurant and the other was take a family vacation. I was reminded of this the other day when I was talking with the grand kids. They are 8 and 10 and have done both of those activities so many times it's old hat to them. They couldn't believe it when I told them.
Growing up I never gave it a thought. Mom always cooked and we were home for supper,or else. Mom or Dad might take you for an ice cream but never to sit down and eat as a family. I don't think that idea ever even entered our parents mind. I don't recall any of my friends saying they went out to eat with their parents either. I'm wondering if it is a generational thing.  As I grew older I would go to the local eateries for lunch. French fries and a coke at Speeds was a favorite. Maybe go to George Greens for a hamburger. Never with my parents though. In fact it wasn't until after my fathers passing in 1990 that I went out to eat with my Mom. I took her to Pizza Hut for lunch. To this day that is as close as I have gotten to going out to eat with her. If I lived closer it would be different I'm sure. My sister lives fairly close by and they go out to eat quite often.
As far as a family vacation that idea was about as remote as going to the moon. We would occasionally travel to Riverhead,a distance of over 25 miles from home,and that was a family outing ! I remember going to the beach,we lived about two miles from it,once with my father and mother. We had an old fashioned clam bake. I remember my father wearing swimming trunks (hilarious) and actually swimming with us. That is the closest thing to a family vacation that I remember. Lasted all day and into the early evening. Mom took us to the beach all the time but this is the only time I recall both of them being present.
My father changed jobs frequently,probably every couple years or so,I don't think he was content doing the same thing. He would work as a plumber,carpenter and mechanic. Sometimes he just worked the water.
I don't think he ever had a paid vacation in his life. He was in the war so I know the service gives you vacation and that I'm thinking would have been the only time he got one. As far as in civilian life I don't think so. Family vacations were something you saw on television. The Cleavers might do that but not regular people. I did have one friend whose family went on vacations. They had a little trailer that they pulled behind the car. I always figured their father must make a lot of money. I think he was a scientist or something.
I think our family was typical given the time and place. It was a time when most middle Americans didn't go out frequently as they do now. People stayed closer to home back then. I knew a few that save for Military service had never gone more than fifty miles from the place they were born.
Its' a different world now. The kids expect different things. Time marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment