Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Antenna

Occasionally I see something that just takes me back. An old sign perhaps or an old car. Instantly I am back to an earlier time. I happened to look up the other day when I heard what I thought may be a jet flying overhead. Rare here in Greensboro. Didn't see a Jet but saw a TV antenna. Just like in the movies I was back in the sixties. I remember when almost every house had one of these on the roof. The fancier ones where on a separate tower. Some,like the one in the picture,had a motor that could be controlled remotely to turn that antenna for optimum reception. Growing up we had a choice between two stations. Channel 3 or channel 8. Our antenna lay in the attic and seldom needed adjustment. When it did you went up in the attic and turned it just a little until the person downstairs yelled;OK.
This was before we had a color television. Back in the days when most houses had only one television. I was the remote. Dad said to turn the channel and I did. He didn't have to specify what channel as I said there were only two. We still bought the TV guide though.
I still see these relics of a time gone past and usually they are bent and falling down. This particular one however is pristine in its' appearance. On the opposite back corner of this house there are two satellite dishes.
I can't say with certainty when we got cable television. I do remember our first color television however; it was a Quasar with the works in a drawer. A genuine marvel of electronic wizardry. Came with a remote control.
Now the trend is to run all our electrical cables under ground. The wires are unsightly and prone to damage above ground. This is a better method. Not sure how we hide our satellite dishes but I'm sure someone will figure out a way. Maybe incorporate them into the design of the house. They are definitely smaller in size than those early ones. Rarely do you see one of those anymore. I know where one is though and should take a picture of it someday.
When I saw that antenna on that roof I was back in time for just a moment or two. I recall getting off the school bus and racing home to catch The Rifleman. My favorite show. Lucas McCain stood for all that was right and never missed a shot or run out of ammo either. I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and watched coverage of the Kennedy assassination. That black and white television hooked to an antenna in the attic brought me the world. I don't know why Dad never put that antenna on the roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment