Friday, February 25, 2011

A second Lanuage

When  I was in school it was an option to take a second language. Two choices were available to me then. Spanish and French. I decided upon Spanish. My thinking was if I ever had to run for the border I would go south were it was warm. Too cold in Canada for me.
In more recent years we have had to add English to the list of languages taught at our schools. I never dreamed that would happen. Always took it for granted that if you lived here you could speak English. In retrospect I should have studied my language choice more diligently as it can be profitable now a days to savvy the lingo !
The second language I had in mind this morning though has nothing to do with that. The second language I was thinking about is a written form of English,and presumably all other languages, called texting. Single letters have meaning and abbreviations abound. Phrases convey entire messages. I received a text message the other day and didn't have a clue what it was about. It just as well could have been a different language altogether. The rules of grammar where trampled upon or just plain nonexistent. Sentence structure was deplorable. One could barely discern the subject from the predicate ! My ninth grade English teacher.God rest her soul, is surely turning over in her grave.
I'm thinking it must be because the keyboards,is that the right terminology,are so small. I need a magnifying glass just to see the letters. It is beyond me how you can press just one. Must be the same magic that allows Dolly Parton to play the banjo with fingernails two inches long. I've seen people doing this with both thumbs going very fast. Thumbs ! But back to the language. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet someone publishes a book called Texting for Dummies. They have one for everything else. Now that I think of it you can probably download it to your Kindle or other device. Some of this has its'  roots in the chat rooms. OMG,LOL,BRB started there. But with the advent of texting for everyone this was greatly expanded. I have fallen way behind the curve on this one. Well history repeats itself and voice messaging will come back into vogue someday. I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment