Tuesday, February 8, 2011

MaGoo Moments

I have been visually impaired since I was in the third grade. When I first got my glasses I thought they were pretty cool. Figured anyone who wore glasses was probably pretty smart,regular scholars. Think Benjamin Franklin. I quickly learned about the limitations placed on you though. Come in from the cold and they steam up leaving you blinded. Any blow to the face ie: basketballs could cause significant damage both to your face and the glasses. The first hurt like crazy and the later got you yelled at because they needed replacing or repairs. Other inconveniences include not being able to buy sunglasses off the rack. Separate tinted lenses required you to carry both pair around with you. I never liked the clip on ones. Eye doctor told me they were bad for your eyes too. And of course you had to deal with being called four eyes. Four Eyes Four Eyes You're a sissy and you'll cry ! Tough guys don't wear glasses.
Over the years I have had some funny and not so funny things happen to me on account of my glasses or lack thereof. Naturally you can't wear your glasses in the shower. I have picked up the body wash and put it in my hair and used shampoo instead of body wash. When something like that happens I call it a," Magoo moment." On one occasion I mistakenly picked up a tube of ointment thinking it was toothpaste. Let me just say this ointment was not for oral use. Fortunately I discovered my mistake in time ! I am far sighted so I can see very close up. Even with my lenses it can be challenging to me to read road signs in time to react. This is mostly a problem with destination signs. The shapes give the others away. I do find it annoying each time I renew my drivers license they insist I try to read the eye chart without my glasses. Have never been able to do that but maybe they think a miracle has happened while waiting in their line. I work with machinery a lot and as a result my glasses are often dirty. They are also often scratched up. It is a gradual process so I really don't notice it until I take them off. Then,at least close up,the world is bright and full of color.
I have never considered contact lenses. Just the thought of placing something in my eye gives me shivers. I'm certain I couldn't do it. I also am certain it would lead to infection. I am not a fastidious person when it comes to that. I don't use hand sanitizer and have been known to just wipe my hands off before lunch when at a job site. That Lasik stuff sounds interesting but I am skeptical and I don't really like the idea of messing around with what vision I do have. I'm waiting on that to see if there are any long term problems.

I think I'll just go on living with those MaGoo moments.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate! I got mine in 4th grade and hate them! I've been using contacts since high school (never had an infection) and am not candidate for lasix so....there you are. I expeically hate going in for a surguical procedure where they make you take off your glasses long before you are put under and from that point on as people come and go you don't know who they are, can't see anyone's faces, and feel completely dependent. My big fear? Being in a nursing home, or on my death bed, and having no one put my glasses on so I can't even see the faces of those that I love - total isolation when you can't see! I feel for the totally blind, for sure.

    ReplyDelete