Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Meals

Little moments in life can be a milestone. Consider this; took the Grandkids to McDonald's. This has always been a time for Happy Meals and the Play Place. Friday it was not. The kids didn't want Happy meals anymore and they are really too big for the play place. This was a gradual thing as they haven't really wanted happy meals for a little while and the play place was getting a bit boring. Friday though it just sunk in, they are growing up ! I watched them both as they ducked down to enter the tubes and slides. I watched as they scrambled to the top and slid quickly back down. Got me to remembering when they had to almost crawl up the steps because they couldn't reach. I remember when getting to the top was a major accomplishment,one worthy of photographs ! (Have a bunch of them.) I think the deal was sealed when my Grandson told me he helped a little boy reunite with his sister inside the play station.
Truth be told I should have seen this a long time ago. Guess I'm just trying to hold on. Have talked to my own kids about more children but they are not going for it. Pretty selfish on their part if you ask me.
We have always celebrated the kids accomplishments in the past. Potty training,learning to walk,talk,read,write and ride a two wheeler. Dressing themselves in the mornings and brushing their teeth without having to be told. Now they are too old for the play place. What to do ? There is still fishing,crabbing and going to the beach. Museums to visit and doing crafts together. We even have meaningful discussions together. How did they get this old ! Now Mark wants to play chess. Good Grief Charlie Brown !
There are those that would say I spoil my Grand Children. Hogwash ! When they are with me or their Grandmother discipline is maintained. It is more like a casual Friday with us though. They can watch whatever on TV (as long as it is appropriate) and they don't have to eat anything they don't like. Never did see the point in that exercise. We don't stand for back talk but the lines of communication are open. Sometimes they can win the argument. Yes somehow,somewhere along the way they both stopped being small children and grew up. The innocent days are falling behind them. It would be nice if they never had to know about life's injustices. Why can't we just go to the Play Place and all eat Happy Meals.

1 comment:

  1. They grow up too fast, just as our children did! But I have a sign hanging in my kitchen thatt says "What Happens at Grandma's Stays at Grandma's" and that pretty much sums it up!

    ReplyDelete