Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Question

Here in Maryland the question of Gay marriage is gaining enough support that it may go to a vote. It is frequently mentioned in the news and rallies are being held both pro and con. There are numerous polls being taken that you may participate in.
Now religious beliefs aside I believe it is more a matter of finance than anything else. The tax code does provide some relief for married couples as we all know. Those individuals that wish to share their life with someone of the same sex want these benefits. I can understand that. The problem lies in definition does it not ? On the surface it would seem declaring it a civil union may be an answer. With that though comes all the encumbrances of a marriage. Divorce being a primary concern. The woman has traditionally been given support if she requires it. How is that going to work ? I'm thinking a different set of rules would have to be employed that apply to civil unions.
It is often difficult for people to separate their beliefs from the issue. The issue here is money ! The Gays don't want to admit that,the straight people don't want to admit it either. I am truly convinced that money is the driving force behind this. All the rest is rhetoric.
If we allow this,either by "marriage" or "civil union" would this not logically lead to other mutual beneficiary unions ? What of college roommates ? They could benefit from the tax breaks as well. Could not any two people form a union to take advantage of the code ? It would only be fair,right ? We would have to think of a name for this so as not to label someone as Gay or Straight perhaps the Undecided.
I will finish this by saying this; I am morally opposed to the Gay lifestyle. I am morally opposed to Gay marriage. That being understood this is America. Land of the free. Equal rights for all that are here legally.(another issue) Although not real comfortable with it I could support Civil Unions.
I firmly believe that the Gay lifestyle is wrong ! I will not try to legitimize it with Marriage ! A marriage is between a man and a woman. These are my beliefs and I am entitled to them. That doesn't mean I hate Gays or have any fear of them. They have made their choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment