Friday, February 4, 2011

Recalculating


My son asked me to go with him to a place neither of us had been before. He had the name of the town and an address. When we stopped for gas I was looking for those little maps that fold up. Then I realized I was in the 21 st century and those things don't exist anymore. It was a ,duh,moment. I didn't say  anything and quickly bought something and made out that was exactly what I was looking for.
After we left the station my son hands me the GPS. I say, I don't know anything about using this.  After explaining what buttons to push and what information to enter we are up and running. That little voice is saying turn right,go 6.8 miles then turn left on etc.,etc,. The first part of the journey we are still in familar terroritory so the voice is being ignored. Then I hear the voice saying," recalculating". This brings to mind those commercials on TV where mayhem rules and you need to buy a certain car insurance. A quick look at the instructions and the box would have us making a big u-turn and then turning back onto the road we are already on. We just continue on and the box keeps recalculating. Then we lost the satelite. That little car on the screen was just sitting still ! A few minutes later the satelite returns and the box recalculates. Just in time for the next turn. Whew, diaster averted.
After about an hour of driving the checkered flag appears on the screen. Literaly,a checkered flag appears on the screen. Following the instructions given we turn into a parking lot. The address we are seeking is not in this shopping center. What is going on here? Looking at the address is has to be on the opposite side of this divided highway. Recalculating ! We must leave this parking lot,turn right,go about a half a mile,make a u-turn,go back a half a mile and turn right into another lot. Should be a piece of cake. NOT ! Recalculating.
Finaly we just turn the little box off and wing it. We arrive at our destination.
Having concluded our business it is time to return home. Fire up that box and enter "home." I'm getting the hang of this thing now. Then the box says turn left. Left ? That isn't the way we came. Recalculate,Recalculate. I'm thinking of Lost in Space with that stupid robot. Danger Will Robinson Danger.
Alright, we will go your way. So we followed the directions as given;to a point. The gps wanted to put us on a toll road. That wasn't happening. We both knew we could travel a paralel road without paying any tolls.
The box didn't like it and kept insisting we turn onto the toll road. We turned it off ! We just continued along this now infrequently used highway. Before the toll road and those little boxes bullying everyone onto it this road was well traveled. It had been a main north to south corridor. Now it was lined with relics of a bygone era. Empty service stations and empty houses. Dying communities. Then I saw it, a little motel still holding on.
Its' neon sign proudly proclaiming Free Cable and Color TV in every room. That's right, Color Television, this is no flop house ! Made me smile. Nothing about spas,hot tubs or wi-fi. No kids stay free or free continetal breakfast. No sir, but they do have COLOR television. Wonder how many years that sign has been there.
A piece of Americana. I'm thinking I may have found some of those tri fold maps in the lobby.
We made it home ok without the help of a satelite. Regular pioneers I tell you. Next time I think I'll leave home without my cell phone too. I'm sure I have at least one of those road maps somewhere. Think I'll find it and pick a destination. Recalculating !

1 comment: