Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just around the corner

I'm a early riser and this morning I awoke to see some snow on the ground. I had really hoped I had seen the last for this year. Last Friday it was 72 degrees and I caught a real bad case of spring fever. Was cleaning up the yard and working in the attic. Eyeballing the grill !
I usually sit at my computer in the living room without the television on because I find it a distraction when I'm writing down these thoughts of mine. My wife sips her coffee in the kitchen and has her laptop. We have a small television in the kitchen that is always on and she will notify me if anything real important pops up on the morning news.
I live just off a main street here in town. I've grown accustomed to the traffic noises and seldom notice at all.
Except for one sound; the thump and scrapping of a snow plow ! I've grown to loathe that sound. Across the street there is an insurance agency with a small parking lot. After the snow you hear; thump, followed by that scrapping sound. Over and over ! The sound mocks me. My thoughts of grilling a juicy steak or chicken wings being shut out by that sound. I know this snow will not last long but that awful sound is a reminder that it is not spring yet !
A few days ago the wind was blowing a gale. Gusts to sixty miles per hour. It was a warm wind however and my wife reminded me of March winds. An early spring for sure. The groundhog even said so. And now snow again. I've been watching the trees for signs of buds but none so far. I'll have to shake the snow off the branches to check. There has got to be new life under there somewhere. The sun is feeling a bit stronger every day. Surely this is just a minor setback. Still a disappointment though. More snow,really. The holidays are long past now with its' jingle bells and all that. The sound of the plow is not a good one ! St. Patricks day is next up and I can't see a leprechaun in the snow. Green,green is the color !
Later today I'll take a few snapshots. I'm sure this will be the last snow in 2011 so I had better record it.
Hope springs eternal and spring is just around the corner.

1 comment: