Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mortality

I just heard of the passing of a classmate. He was just 57 years old. Not a close friend or even someone I hung out with at all but nevertheless in my high school class. He is not the first I have heard of and each time it hits me and makes me reflect upon my own mortality. I am 58.
I wonder what dreams and aspirations he may have left unfulfilled. Promises made but not kept. And what of those whose lives he touched. To me it is just a sad and sobering fact but to those close the impact surely is much greater. We can not know the time of our passing. One can only know the time will be the correct time for the man controlling this makes no mistakes. The how or why of it is not the important part. That part is left for the living to ponder. Knowing that answer can give some solace.
We all want to be remembered. It is a part of the human make up. We need to believe we have made some contribution to the scheme of things. To have influenced events. Most of us have a very small sphere of influence and in the big picture that is necessary. Too many cooks spoil the soup. You can never be sure what effect you may have so it is best to conduct yourself with some restraint. I believe it was Newton that said,"for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" and this applies in personal relationships as well. I do not believe you can create or alter your own destiny. Destiny by definition prevents this.
What task have I been placed here on this earth to fulfill ? I don't know and will never know. I will not try to understand the mind of God. That would be a bit presumptuous don't you think? I have been given free will and I can only strive to use this will in the proper manner. To make the right choices. When the time is right I will depart this world. In that I take comfort. Everything I was put here to do will be done. All I can do is live my life and try not to mess it up.
To my classmate, Rest in Peace. Whatever your purpose on this earth was, it has been fulfilled. I am sure you will not be forgotten by those you loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment