Saturday, February 5, 2011

Crafty

Recently I was reading a blog by a friend of mine. I read her blog every day and take inspiration from it.
I try to be careful not to steal her ideas but sometimes like to expand upon them. She was recently talking about making ,by hand, items to give to your loved ones. I must agree with her that these gifts mean more than any that can be purchased. I would add that sometimes,at least in my case, it means more to me than the person receiving it. I have secretly been disappointed in the reaction I got. No matter I will persevere.
In years past it was also an economical choice to make. When times were hard and money in short supply one could,for a minimal investment,create something special. In todays' world it is a little bit different. Now the practice of making something yourself is called crafting. My Mom called it getting by. Making do as it were. One would just use whatever skills they happened to possess and make whatever was needed. If material wasn't available around the house you could purchase them for reasonable cost. This has changed over the years too. Now it is all about volume. If you are not interested in buying large quantities it is going to cost you a premium price. Often times it is a deterrent. For the cost of the materials I could just purchase the item and wrap it up. Unless one is expert at doing whatever, crochet,knitting,sewing,or building a birdhouse the item purchased will be of superior quality and construction. All that for a lesser price.
I would like to build many things but the cost is prohibitive. My Grandson would like a tree house but even a rudimentary one runs into several hundred dollars in material. Building materials are quite expensive. Good materials like a good grade of hardwood are very costly indeed. The availability of used materials is scarce.
These are being recycled,admittedly,a good thing but bad for us do it yourselfers.
In my experience the home made items are best given to the older people in your life. They have an appreciation for the time and effort put forth. The younger ones rarely do. That doesn't stop me from trying however. I hope some of the things I make survive until they are old enough to appreciate them. I will more than likely be gone from this earth but isn't that the way of the world. Like most artists your work increases in value after your passing. My Mom was crafting before crafting was cool. I have many of her works and treasure them. She is still making things and I enjoy getting them. She would tell you,idle hands do the devils' work !
Isn't it funny how what was once a necessity has become a leisure activity ? Making do with whatever one had close to hand. My Great Grandfather made me a top when I was a small boy. Whittled a piece of firewood and got a piece of string. I played with that for a long time. Folded newspaper into pirate hats.
I remember when Mom would darn the holes in our socks. Even had a device to put inside the sock while darning. I don't think anyone does that anymore. Knitted up big bulky sweaters to keep you warm. Made rag rugs to put on those cold wood floors. Wasn't considered being " crafty " or was it ?
Maybe that was " Crafty "  The old folks usually are.

1 comment:

  1. When socks were knit by hand darning was a must!

    So true how people's lask of excitement over hand-made things can be disappointing. Also had to smile at your mother's saying about idle hands - my mother said the same thing!

    Nice piece!

    ReplyDelete