Saturday, October 9, 2010

Recidivism

Was reading where Lil Wayne has been placed in solitary confinement for possessing a MP3 player charger and earphones. Having no great interest in Lil Wayne or his misdeeds I just browsed the article. The article did state he would probably remain in solitary twenty three hours a day until his release date on Nov 4.
I did look up what he was in Rikers Island for, and no big surprise, Drugs and Guns. Seems like that is the trend with the Rapper crowd. I can only assume it has something to do with image. Like bullies in the schoolyard they what to be portrayed as "bad men."
The article ended with the author lamenting that by placing  Lil Wayne in solitary confinement just for breaking the rules is why the recidivism rate is so high in our country.
So what the author is trying to say is,punishment for wrongdoing leads to recidivism. What he would have us do I don't know because he offered no alternative other than to give Lil Wayne whatever he wants in prison so when released he won't commit any more offenses. Whether this policy should should pertain to all inmates was not made clear.
I have a totally different opinion. If you do the crime ,you do the time. Period,no ifs,ands,buts. We the law abiding citizens of this nation pay in taxes literally millions of dollars in lock up these criminals. We spend millions feeding them providing medical care,rehabilitation services.recreational activities etc. Whereas I don't agree with robbing and stealing and drug trafficking one can understand a possible motive to survive and provide for there family. These wealthy thugs really make me mad. They make millions and rarely do any thing of benefit to their communities. A personal appearance or giving some tax deductible donation. When what they should be doing is setting an example by leading a decent law abiding life. I have no sympathy for them. They should be ashamed of themselves. They only add fuel to the negative images the every day person has of them. This by design ? I'm a big bad rapper look at me. I can rhyme words and shoot a gun and use drugs but don't punish me.
Of course that was only one persons opinion and I' glad to see that Rikers prison is punishing him for breaking the rules. Maybe if we cut out all this mamby pampy touchy feely crap and actually punish criminals the recidivism rate would change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment