Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Night Air

Its' official I'm sick. I have a cold. I feel miserable.Not much to be done about it though.
Chicken soup,grilled cheese sandwiches and ginger ale. Thats' my cure. Along with staying covered up and warm.
I have read all the magazine articles and heard all about these nasty germs that give us these annoying sicknesses. I'm not a MD or anything but I know the true cause. Its that night air ! My Mother and Grandmother both warned me about the night air. Get in this house can't you feel that night air coming on,it'll make you sick. Put on a sweater. Don't get your feet wet either. That will definitely cause a cold. We have all heard this advice I'm sure. Science has proved there is medicinal value in the chicken soup. I'm sure if they studied the night air they would find the root problem for the common cold. I suspect it has something to do with our basic primal fears of the dark and cold. In the cave it had to be comforting to be warm and have those dark areas lighted.
When we get sick we all go back to the things our Mom did to make us feel better. For me,as I said, chicken soup,grilled cheese sandwiches and ginger ale. I don't know why these are the items chosen by my Mom but they work for me. Especially the Ginger Ale. Has to be Schweeps though none of that cheap stuff. Oh. and I need a small paper bag to put the used tissue in. A good movie on TV helps as well. No action movie though has to be something more calming. Can I have an extra pillow ? Take my temperature too. It helps to keep track of that vital sign. Maybe a couple aspirin. Some cough drops would be nice.
If I had only listened to the advice about the night air I wouldn't be sick right now. I just had to go out without so much as a sweater on and be the macho Grandfather. The weather had just changed a little and it was drizzling rain. A chill was in that air ! I should have known better.
In a few days I'll be back to normal and remember this lesson for a while. In the meantime I'll just suffer through it like everybody else that didn't pay attention to the night air.

1 comment:

  1. I have not been able to drink ginger ale - which was also my mother's go-to fluid for her sick kids - since I was sick when I was about 10 years old and had some sort of bad flu (could it have been Lyme?) and could not keep anything down, including the soda. That taste was ruined for me forever! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete