Friday, October 8, 2010

Mysterious Enforcement

I was riding uptown the other day during school hours. I noticed a young man walking on the sidewalk and wondered why isn't he in school ? He looked to be between the ages of 12 and 16. This triggered a memory from my own school days. We were always told if we skipped school the truant officer would get you. This mysterious individual cruised around during the school hours just waiting to nab you. No one I ever knew had ever actually seen this person or even knew his name but you were certain he was out there. Like some undercover operative this person would surely catch you. I never heard of anyone being caught by the truant officer but I think that was kept a secret to protect his identity. To this day I don't know if there was a person who held this title or not. Back in my day any authority figure could and would stop and question you. Most everyone knew who your parents were so you had best be telling the truth. Today they would probably get sued.
Isn't it amazing how you,or at least I, believed this because your Mom or Dad told you so. I for one never questioned this tale just took it for granted as fact. Seems reasonable that the school would have someone checking up on the students. I rarely missed school just because I enjoyed going but when I did I didn't go anywhere without Mom. She was my alibi ! That truant officer might be anywhere so its best not to take any chances. I'm not sure what happened to you after you got caught but I am sure it wasn't pleasant. Maybe,just Maybe that is why you never heard about anyone getting caught !

No comments:

Post a Comment