Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cliche

Cliches. By their very definition phrases or sayings overused. Yet we continue to use them. The cliche that grates on my nerves the most is, State of the Art. State of the Art what kind of phrase is that anyway ? A state is defined as being a solid,liquid or a gas. The three states of matter. The Art. The art of apparently anything and everything. This radio is State of the Art. The art of electronics I guess ? I have heard this cliche used ever since I can remember. Oh, others tried to creep in like cutting edge technology but it didn't have the staying power. Somewhere,somehow in our minds we all came to understand that State of the Art meant the latest and greatest. Better than the best. Now when I hear it I just think , sure it is ,they all say that.
Like I said apparently anything can be state of the art. I remember getting the Space pen which could write upside down.Now that was state of the Art at its' finest. Just saw a band that doesn't play instruments but plays I-Phones and they are a big hit. State of the Art phones. I just wish someone would think up a better phrase. Something new and refreshing ooops, another cliche. Well that pretty much says it all (darn) here we go again so I'll let sleeping dogs lie ( sigh). I'm just sick and tired ( rubbing forehead) of hearing State of the Art. What Art ? What State ? Can't we just say this is the latest version and we feel it is better than the last.
One more thought.
We use other phrases in every day life that strike me as odd. Examples include, I'm married to my wife,who else would I be married too ? ( may make more sense in California but thats' another topic) We just had a baby girl, no kidding ,I thought it would be a teenager. Why do we say those things ?

No comments:

Post a Comment