Monday, October 25, 2010

Grandparents Day

Friday was Grandparents Day at the elementary school. I have been fortunate enough to attend this event every year. I have two Grandchildren in this particular school so my time must be divided between them. One is in second grade and the other fourth. We get pictures taken (no surprise there) can have lunch with them and observe their daily class work.
Things have changed a bit since I went. As I recall we stayed at our desks unless going to recess. Now they move around to various centers. A couple of the centers are in the classroom and others are not. They have a center for most everything. One center they call,"Intervention" and I'm still not quite sure what that is. I think it varies with the student.(s) The teacher was our center ! He/She also intervened if necessary.with extreme prejudice !
The teachers always have the kids introduce their Grandparents to the class. I am always amused by these introductions. To see the eyes of the children light up with pride to show off their Grandparents is worth the trip alone. I always feel bad for the ones that do not have Grandparents there.
This year,for a math exercise,the teacher asked for the ages of the Grandparents,( she did give permission to be shall we say creative) and had the children plot this on a line graph. I was the youngest,yeah,and the eldest was 71. The lady that was 71 walked with a cane and the children looked at her like she was ancient. There were many muffled comments.
My granddaughter who is in the second grade was delighted that I was there and held my hand. My grandson in the fourth grade was pleased I was there but much more subdued. They grow so quickly. The elementary school here goes to the fifth grade so I have one more year with the grandson. I look forward to this annual event and hope to be able to attend next year and the following years.
I did note that in my grandaughters' class,second grade if you recall,the numbers one through one hundred were printed on a long strip across the wall. I remember being in Miss Edwards second grade class and her having the exact same thing on her classroom wall. I recall thinking what a challenge it was to have to know how to count that far ! Some things never change I guess.

1 comment:

  1. i had Miss Edwards too. Can you imagine her in the modern school? She was a real interesting character!

    ReplyDelete