Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Matter of Economics

Did you ever get the feeling you were just born at the wrong time ? Feel like your calling was a generation or so back in time ? I do. I think my true calling was as a fix it man. I love to fix things ! All kinds of things. I have always thought I would have liked to own and operate a fix it shop. But in this day and time you are not going to make any money doing that. This is the age of replace it. Don't fix it,replace it. For most items you can not even buy the parts to fix it with.
I have yet to find one occupation/interest that keeps me fascinated. I like everything.I know I would have enjoyed the everyday challenge of fixing everyday stuff. I love to tinker with things,always have. I believe it is a shame that we do not repair things anymore. We have started recycling efforts to control and reuse all that waste but the true lose will be in history. How many items will survive to be looked at and admired in future generations. I have a very old electric drill. Its' casing is metal and it weighs a ton. Its' a survivor though. Been around for at least forty years and if the need should arise it is repairable. Thats' because you can disassemble it without destroying it unlike so many of our modern products.
I understand why items are manufactured the way they are. Its cheaper to produce. It is that simple. Plus you,as the consumer,must buy another one should this one fail. If I am the manufacturer I like it like that.
Still.I would like to just fix things. Replacing the part is not fixing it. Anyone can replace a part. Nowadays it is just a matter of identifying the part that needs replaced and locating that part. Back a generation ago you actually repaired the part. You had to identify the defective part. Disassemble the part. Repair the part. Put the part back on. I enjoy repairing the part. I always told my sons in order to repair the part you have to know how it works and why. The enjoyment comes from the knowing and doing. When I see the repaired object function as it was designed to do I get that same satisfaction a Doctor must get when he cures you.
Well.that time has passed us by and I can't see a return to it either. Economics rule the day. Too bad though I think I would have been good at being the fix it man.

No comments:

Post a Comment