Saturday, October 16, 2010

Freedom of Speech

Why is it getting so difficult to speak your mind anymore ? Everything you say seems to be analyzed to the point of being ridiculous. Case in point Bill O'Reilly on the view. He said," Muslims killed us at ground zero."
What an uproar. Whoopi and Joy walking off the set. How offensive it was to them. All the man said was the truth. It was Muslims that destroyed the twin towers. Immediately however that statement was being analyzed. What did he mean and jumping to conclusions about what it is he was saying. No one, it seems, took the statement at face value. Irregardless of what side of that argument you stand on the man was just stating a fact. I guess we are so conditioned to listening to our politicians that we have become wary of any statement. It is no longer acceptable to just say what you think without offering a full explanation of your opinion.
Everyone has to be so politicaly correct. I wonder what their real thoughts are. I don't know about you but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Most people gingerly avoiding saying something that could be misconstrued. And it is not just the politicians. It is that way almost everywhere unless with immediate family and very close friends. I am not talking about the "shock jock" crowd which I do not take seriously at all.
I have always said this," I want to live to be a very old man for one reason. That reason is so I can say whatever I want to whomever I want with little or no repercussions." As a young man I would enjoy it immensely when my Great Grandfather spoke his mind to my father and other adults and they said little or nothing in return. True freedom of speech !

No comments:

Post a Comment