Monday, May 27, 2024

Psyche

  When I attended Navy recruiter training school, we did receive forty hours of sales training led by a psychologist. Aptly named the phycology of the sale we received college credits for that course. We were told at the beginning of that class that we would never look at a sales pitch the same way again. That has proven to be true for me. I do hear more of what is being said in an objective way than I did prior to that class. It wasn't a very difficult course of study and something that should be taught in every school in the country. I'm guessing the advertising council would lobby heavily against any such proposal. It does open your eyes.
 I'm reminded of this course of instruction when listening to a number of advertisements on television. In particular these "one day" install of a new bathroom. I'm certain you have all seen those. Turn that old, hard to clean, outdated and dangerous bath into a modern marvel while you are at work. Just go to work in the morning and when you get home, presto, a new bath! And if you act right now, installation is free! That's right, free installation, half off on materials, no interest, no payments for a year! Almost sounds too good to be true, but that is what is advertised. They can't advertise that without doing it.
 But what are they promising really? Free installation. Okay so where is the money for the workers' salaries coming from? Can't be they are overcharging for materials can it, they are half priced already. I'm not paying any interest or making a payment for up to a year. Well, the reality is I won't pay any interest, or make a payment for up to a year but the interest is accumulating for that year. Did you hear that? That's the psychology part, people tend to hear what they want to hear, you heard no interest, not deferred interest for a year. That rate will be different based on long you wait to make that first payment. Yes, you can wait up to a year to make that first payment, that's true, but it will cost you, big time.
 I'm always amused by these ads and what they are saying. Car dealers really crack me up. Ten thousand dollars off and 0% interest for seventy-two months! Employee pricing for everyone. Free oil changes for life and a manicure! We complete a 365-point inspection on every used vehicle we sell. Does the car have a windshield? Check! Does the car run? Check! Yes, it has been inspected. And we will give 120% of its' trade in value. They really are counting on a simple truth; most people only hear what they want to hear. 
 Ten thousand dollars off the manufacturer's suggested retail price (msrp). So, I'm supposed to believe that you are going to sell me this vehicle for ten thousand dollars less than what the manufacturer, that's the corporation wanting to sell the vehicle, suggests I ask for it? I supposed to believe that because? Is it because the manufacturer is suggesting a price that too high? The dealer is just trying to be the good guy here, give me a break. And they didn't pay that much for the car in the first place, they are willing to make a lot less profit on the sale. For a real opener google all of that. You will soon find that the real costs are a closely guarded secret. Less is known about that than Aliens! The closet you can come to knowing what the actual cost to manufacture a particular vehicle is, divide whatever the invoice cost is by two. If the invoice is for 15,000 it cost about 7500 to actually manufacture that vehicle.    
 For a Navy recruiter the phrase was always, "if you qualify" and in my experience 80% of the people I spoke with never heard me say that. They heard; I can be. Can I be a navy seal? Yes, if you qualify, you can be. Your odds of becoming one are about the same as becoming a professional athlete. Those car advertisement use the phrase, for well qualified buyers, quite a bit. You figure you are well qualified right. Yeah, we all do but secretly admit maybe we are the best qualified, but it doesn't hurt to ask. That promise of 0% interest will get you into the showroom anyway, or free stuff. When I joined the Navy, it was touted as "not just a job, but an adventure" Yes it was a job, like any other but you get to have a lot of fun doing it! Today the slogan is, "Today's Navy, Forged by the Sea" What does that even mean? You too can be forged by the sea, if you qualify. Things were a little more direct back in the old days. We all know the poster for WW1 I want you. That was adopted and used for the Navy as well. I've never seen one, but the message is the same. Get you Psyched up! 

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment