Thursday, May 30, 2024

POV (the unpopular one)

  Thought I would continue with some social commentary this morning. Once again, I find myself on the "wrong" side of an issue. I had read where Major League Baseball has decided to include the statistics of the players from the Negro leagues in their official record books. This has, of course, changed a few things concerning the best batters or whatever. I'm not really a statistic man and so couldn't tell you much about that without looking it all up. To be honest about it, I really don't care. I enjoy watching a ball game every now and again, I have a few favorite players from my youth but that's about it. Just not a big sports fan I guess despite societal pressures to be so. But that pressure hasn't caused me any trauma, no mental health crisis, panic attacks or requirement for an emotional support animal. But I'm getting off topic here.
 So, I read about this inclusion yesterday on Facebook. At first, I didn't leave any comment. I knew full well if I did it would stir up the proverbial hornets' nest. That post kept reappearing, as they often do, and I did get sucked into that vortex! I left my comment. I tried to resist as I read what the majority were saying. Oh, the woke crowd had gathered in full force praising this long overdue inclusion that will correct the injustice of the past. I read the comments about how blacks had been excluded, their records and accomplishments ignored by the white folks. I read about how unfair all that had been. It was declared to be systemic! And finally, here in 2024 the past will be rewritten! It's about time.
 I started with a simple declarative statement. Those black players had never played in the Major Leagues, they played in the Negro Leagues. They were separate leagues altogether; they didn't compete against one another. Each league has its' own record books, its' own heroes. That is as it should be. Since 1971 the Baseball Hall of Fame has included Negro League Players as a part of their museum. No one is denying the talent, the accomplishments of the players. Yes, they were segregated, we all know that. Yes, that was wrong, we all know that. But that doesn't change a simple fact, they didn't play in the major league. 
 Just as I knew it would it set off a firestorm of comments directed at me. I was called the usual name, racist, because I didn't immediately agree that every player in the Negro league should be in the hall of fame! They were better than Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb! They had records to prove that. The rationalization went on and on. I pointed out that at that time the Negro league played 60 games in a season while the major league was playing 120 and how that would certainly skew the season records. I was told how the negro leagues were the major league because they were all professional ballplayers. I pointed out the major leagues were only called that because they didn't name them the white leagues. The point there being, again, they were separate leagues. As I expected all of that fell on deaf ears. I'm just an angry white racist that doesn't want those players to receive the recognition they deserve.
 From my point of view this inclusion is really nothing more than virtue signaling. Black players have been recognized, given credit and praised for their accomplishments. They have been included, at least for the last 53 years in the Baseball Hall of Fame. But to integrate their statistics with those of the major league players is like playing fantasy baseball. They could have, might have, or may have exceeded the records set in that league but they didn't. They were not in that league. It is that simple really.
  When I was a kid I played a board game, Baseball Strategy, that was a form of fantasy baseball. Each "player" had a card that listed his stats, like batting average, fielding percentage and a number of other factors. The "pitchers" all had cards with their stats and abilities. It was a fantasy game where you could build your team! For me, it's the same as inserting those Negro league stats into the major league stats, it is what could have been, maybe. It has absolutely nothing to do with race or social injustice, they are just statistical facts, cold and impersonal. 
 Since 1947 there have been black players in major league baseball. Their achievements have certainly been recognized, as they should be because they are playing in the league. Was Jackie Robinson the first one to play professional baseball? No, in fact he isn't the first black player recognized by the hall of fame to have played in the "major" league. Moses Fleetwood Waker has that honor having played in 1884 for the Toledo Blue Stockings. 
 Remember the "major" league is only a name given to the league. It just so happens that league was formed and run by white people. It could just as easily have been named something else. In 1884 Moses Fleetwood Walker was playing professional baseball with the white guys and that is why he is the first. By the way, it is reported he went 0-3 that day. Doesn't mean a thing other than that is what the record book recorded. And that is how history should be recorded. The actual facts, not what could have been, might have been or what we wish it had been. 
 I did succumb to that temptation, I just had to leave a comment or two. It really is a guilty pleasure though; I enjoy getting others all fired up. It's just so easy with some. The comments kept coming in all day yesterday, according to my notifications button at least 45 times my name was mentioned. I realize I am in the same category now as Angel Hernandez as far as popularity goes and I'm ok with that. Just like Angel, I'm calling it as I see it! You may have a different point of view, maybe even one that is prejudicial or biased. Yes, it can happen to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment