Sunday, July 10, 2022

sole responsibility

 The only past I am responsible for is my own. Even then a small portion of that past was beyond my control until I reached the age of majority. A term I find curious as once I turned eighteen, I was still only one person, hardly a majority. But I was responsible for the choices I made, legally responsible. Isn't that what that majority is really concerned with, legal responsibility. It sure is, a legal remedy may be sought by anyone against you for any conceived wrongdoings or violations of the law. What we often call, justice. Justice is the righting of a wrong. Well except the reality is you can't undo what has been done only punish the wrongdoer. 
 Today it would appear many would seek justice, a remedy from those that are not responsible for the wrongdoing. In a sort of the "sins of the father" thing. “Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin." That's from the Bible. So, I ask why I am being held responsible for what others, not my ancestors, did? Why must I assume responsibility for an entire race? My race, something I had absolutely no say so in, is being held responsible for actions taken over four hundred years ago. I am being asked to pay reparations for history. A legal remedy? No, a punishment for something I am not guilty of. Taking something of mine, forcing me to pay, is certainly a punishment. How can it be viewed otherwise? It isn't charity unless I provide that willingly of my own volition.
  In alcohol rehabilitation programs, most famously AA, one step is to ask forgiveness from those that you harmed. I suspect that is true in drug programs as well although I haven't read any of their pamphlet or promises. It just seems clear enough to me, I have to ask forgiveness for the things I did from the ones I did it to. I'm not asking for forgiveness for what my fourth great grandfather may or may not have said or done. I am not responsible for any of that. I also do not get to claim his accomplishments as my own either. Just because he was an around the world whaler, Captain of the ship, I can make no claim to that title. If my distant ancestor were some notorious criminal or serial killer, I certainly wouldn't be claiming that. We do attempt to claim whatever we feel will be of benefit to us though, isn't that funny how that works? Same reason many today want to make claims against the past. A past that may or may not be theirs to claim in the first place. 
 I consider myself a lucky man. I have no one to ask forgiveness from. That isn't to say I haven't made some bad choices, caused some injury to others in the past. I have done that. Do I require forgiveness from anyone for any of that? No, I don't feel like I do. I feel like whatever transpired in the past was a mutual exchange. Just because the deal went sour isn't an indication of wrongdoing. So, I ask no one for forgiveness and I ask no one for justice or a remedy. There isn't anyone that owes me a thing. Is it luck, a birthright? No, it is very simple really. Just accept what is given with a grateful heart. Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. The past owes you nothing. That's easy to understand too, the past is already spent, you ain't getting it back. If you are lucky your investment in the past will pay dividends in the future. Things is, you can't sue for that, it was your investment not mine, or my daddy's or granddaddies. I am solely responsible.      

1 comment:

  1. Um....you quoted ONE part of a Bible verse to make a point. And what will you do with ALL the rest of the verses which speak to 'the sins of the father shall be delivered upon the children to the third and fourth generations' :? Try reading more than what you find in your look ups to make your weak case more solid. Give the WHOLE truth....not just a part of it

    ReplyDelete