Tuesday, July 12, 2022

finding Phineas

  I have enjoyed searching the family tree over the years. I'm still undecided what to do with that information other than hand it down. I have in mind now to begin posting stories about my ancestors to this blog. It's my feeling they may be more widely read and enjoyed in that way. They say what goes on the web stays on the web, forever. I do know that Google sometimes displays my blog in response to a query. An example is the Dugan Man. I type that in the search block and a picture of me appears along with the address to my blog. Kinda a cool thing, published without publishing. Recently I have been assembling what information I have about my third great grandfather, Phineas Terry. It's a name I heard as a child, probably remembered because it is unusual. Apparently not so unusual in years past though and had somewhat of a reemergence with Phineas and Ferb. I've never watched that cartoon myself but have heard of it. Anyway, my Phineas was born in 1821 in Chester, New Jersey. 
 His father was Caleb Terry born in 1780 who married Mary Katherine Morris of Morristown, New Jersey. On the third of February in 1836 Phineas was indentured to a man named John Reeves. I have the document that was signed by his father, John Reeves and Phineas setting the terms of that indenture. It was for a period of five years. He was to learn the trade of Cordwinder (shoemaker) and receive $6.50 every three months. In exchange he had to do as the "master" instructed. He wasn't allowed to frequent ale houses, play cards or throw dice, tell any secrets about the trade, leave only when permitted by the master, and no dating or getting married! He completed this indenture on the third of February in 1841. Five years to the date! On July the sixteenth 1842 he marries Jerusha A Bishop. In April of 1843 he has a son, James Buckley Terry. For whatever reason he decides to go on a whaling voyage. He signs on the ship Martha sailing out of Sag Harbor, New York. The captain of the ship is Luther D Cook. The voyage would last from September of 1844 until April of 1847. By all accounts it was a success. But my great grandmother in an interview with the local paper reported that his family disapproved of that venture and Phineas never went to sea again. I have a digital clipping of that interview. Over the next nine years he will have three more sons and two daughters. His last-born son is named Phineas. Jershua, his wife would pass away just four years later in 1860. 
 His son James, his first born would become my second great grandfather marrying Agnes V King. James would go on to serve in the 127th New York Volunteers during the civil war. I have the belt and buckle that belonged to James during the war. James survived the war. Phinneas's father Caleb had passed in 1858 before the war. If any of his other sons served in that war, I don't know about it, yet. But Phineas would remarry in 1883 at the age of 62. He married Phebe Kate Lester. He would pass just seven years later at the age of 69. 
 That is all I know about great, great, great grandfather Phineas. I do have that document he signed 186 years ago as testimony. What will become of that document in the future? It's my hope that it is preserved in some way, held in trust so to speak. It is possible that Phineas is a direct descendant of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Yes, it could very well be and then I'm a descendant as well. It goes back to his grandmother, Mary Katherine Morris (Terry) My great grandmother in that interview casually mentions that she is related to Robert Morris, one of the signers. She incorrectly states that Morristown New Jersey was named after him. Morristown New Jersey is actually named after Lewis Morris, one time provincial governor of New Jersey. Lewis also signed that declaration. Could it be they are brothers? It's a puzzle I've yet to solve. It could be simple coincidence as well. What is known for a fact is that both Robert and Lewis Morris are signers of the declaration of independence. Mary Katherine Morris was from Morristown New Jersey. Family lore says that Mary Morris was a descendant or relative of Robert Morris.
 Hope some of this was interesting to you. Being my ancestors I have an interest. It is interesting to note that when speaking of third great grandparents we will all have at least 32 of them. You know your parents have four, grandparents have eight, and so on. So, yes, you will have at least 32 third great grandparents, maybe more if you start counting second marriages. A lot of avenues to explore. You just never know who you might find.      

No comments:

Post a Comment