Thursday, July 21, 2022

ignorance

 We have all heard it said, ignorance is bliss. I agree that it certainly can be. First thing to understand is that ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge. Being ignorant doesn't mean you are stupid; it means you haven't learned something yet. Ignorance has nothing to do with the ability to learn. That being understood we need to understand that knowledge itself can be troubling. That's why being ignorant can be a good thing. Being ignorant is another way to avoid the more unpleasant things in life. It also leaves you open to other possibilities.
 Those thoughts came to mind after hearing the news report this morning. They were discussing the election results. It was announced that our current governor, Larry Hogan, said he will not vote for the republican candidate in the November elections. The candidate he had endorsed lost in the primary. That's fine, his prerogative, but I thought, he shouldn't be saying that. My thought was, it was better when we were all a bit ignorant about such things. I mean when we didn't go around telling everyone who we were voting for, what out sexual preferences were, and discussing our incomes. Those subjects were only shared with those closest to us. In some cases, not even then. I think that was in the days when everyone was given the benefit of the doubt. I sincerely doubted your choices would be different than mine. At least I pretended I gave you that benefit anyway. I still do. That's why what some perceive as argument is really just me being incredulous. I don't believe it and so try to educate you on the subject. 
 The people that are the most content are those that only know what they need to know. That's my thinking anyway. I want to know enough to protect myself from harm and have intelligent conversations with people. But I do believe in the don't ask, don't tell mentality concerning certain subjects. If I need to know that stuff, I'll ask. Sometimes when you know too much, it's uncomfortable. The more you know about another, the stronger your feelings grow, whether for the good or bad! That is the purpose of marriage, to really learn about one another. Yes, today we all want to hedge our bets in that regard, that's why the acceptance of "living in sin" and all that whole attitude. Gives us a chance to really get to know one another without the commitment. Relationships are always a risk, that's just the way it is.
 I'm not talking about keeping secrets from each other. Secrets are those things that may cause injury. Isn't that the perception there? Yes, secret knowledge that inhibits our ability to make an informed decision. Secrets are always bad to the ones that don't know them. That isn't the reality though, just the perception. I'm talking about the things you need to know. If I just meet you casually in the street, a brief encounter, do I need to know your politics? We have all encountered those people. The ones that want to tell you their life story the very first time you meet them. I would just as soon remain ignorant of your troubling bodily functions or a failing relationship you are having. I am not interested in a romantic relationship with you. Should that develop, I'll ask. Until then just assume traditional roles apply. That will about 97% of the time anyway. 
 We all form our opinions, our likes and dislikes. Call them prejudices, attitudes, or countenance it makes little difference. They are the things we like or dislike when it comes to other people. Personalities clash on occasion. All of that is based in knowledge, or perceived knowledge about the other person. Truth and prejudice are often confused. If you tell me something, I assume you are telling me the truth. That is especially true if you tell me something in confidence. If you tell me in confidence, I assume that it is something you feel I have a need to know. Or more correctly, something you want me to know that is important to you. The hope on your part is for acceptance of that information. Acceptance and understanding. Thing is, do I need to know? 
 It just seems to me we all got along a lot better with one another before we started with all this transparency. Seems like a great thing on the surface, like chocolate cake. But too much of either one can be detrimental. Best to have just a little bit of that at a time. Don't put all your cards on the table at once. That's another analogy we seem to have forgotten about. It is best to keep those cards close to the chest! Keep the other players ignorant. When the time is right, they'll learn, you'll educate them. Or they you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment