Thursday, July 28, 2022

In the background

  I ordered a device that will scan 35MM slides and convert them to digital files. They will then be in JPEG format. JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, the folks that decided upon the standard. I read where that is the go-to format. I know it is what I use all the time. This device is supposed to be easy to use, for seniors! That's even a part of the advertising, the simplicity of use, even a senior can do it. Very reassuring. But I'm looking forward to trying this out. 
  My wifes' Uncle George was an avid photographer. Generally speaking, he just took pictures of the family. A lifelong bachelor it was a passion of his. Later in life he became blind. After his passing a cache of 35MM slides were discovered. He also had the projector which was still in working order. My wife was given these things because there was no one else having an interest in them. My wife may be one of the few that would recognize some of the people in those photographs. Now I have another possession that belonged to Uncle George, a memorial print on velvet saying remember Pearl Harbor. He displayed that in his front window every year and I have taken up the tradition. I had developed a relationship with Uncle George over the years as well. 
  So, I have in mind to scan all those slides, identifying whoever I can and create a record. Placing them on SD cards to preserve them for whoever would like them. No one wants to watch a slide show the old fashioned way. We have all become spoiled in a fashion. We now demand narration, background music and a smooth polished presentation. I don't believe I can provide all of that but at least you won't have to push a button to change the slide every time. OMG, imaging you tiring that would be. 
  I am well aware that the majority of these pictures will hold no meaning for me, many will be unidentified. I'm thinking the background may prove more interesting than the subject of the picture. The heyday of the slide show was in the 1950's. I'm certain the majority of those slides will be from the 50's and 60's. Uncle George tried to stay on the cutting edge of technology and began using super 8 and VHS later on. I don't know the fate of any of those recordings. Like I said he did lose his vision later on and with the tapes, by listening, he could tell you about them somewhat. 
 I'm excited to start the process. It is going to take some time to scan all those images. My concern is that they are saved, preserved for future generations. Just how interesting they will be I can't say. Still, it will be a connection to the past. A conversation starter perhaps. Uncle George being a confirmed bachelor had no children. I know it is possible that he could have, but he didn't. He did have three sisters though. I'm not certain of their whereabouts or even if they are still with us. If so, they would be of advanced age. I will attempt to locate their children when I'm finished with this project and send them a copy. Hopefully they will appreciate them as well. 
 It should be fun though. I will post any interesting finds on my Facebook page to share with others. No telling what exactly will be found in the background. It should be interesting to see the style of clothing worn, hairstyles and that sort of thing. Because I will not know the people in the photographs beyond what my wife may be able to identify it is the background that interests me the most. Rather ironic when you think about that. Uncle George photographed the individuals, preserving that moment, that memory for himself. That's what we all do to an extent. We even take "selfies" these days. The irony is Uncle Georges memories are lost to time, he no longer being here to identify them, but I'm interested in saving the backgrounds, something he probably never even considered when taking the picture.          

No comments:

Post a Comment