Saturday, July 2, 2022

being informed

 When I first connect to the internet, I'm using the edge browser, I am presented with a bunch of news stories. I usually ignore them and proceed to whatever site I'm heading to. But this morning a headline jumped off the screen at me. California has enacted flush legislation! Yes, flush legislation. I just had to read the story and listen to the provided video. 
 Well, in that video the President of the Responsible Flush Alliance was being interviewed. This lady explained that it was a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public about what should and should not be flushed down the toilet. She did have samples with her of those products. I smiled as she grabbed a baby wipe and attempted to pull it apart. Expressing enthusiasm for the topic, she stretched and twisted that wipe. All to no avail, it stayed intact. She went on to explain how it was manufactured with long fibers that would resist that action. I laughed out loud as she described the efficacy of the product! Ah, shades of Dr. Fauci. He also discussed efficacy often and with great zeal. Then, this lady produced products that are designed to be flushed. They have short fibers, rip easily, and are not as effective. You might suffer a breakthrough using those products, but that's a risk you'll have to assume. She said it is estimated the State of California spends 47 million dollars a year making repairs to the infrastructure as a direct result of improperly flushing items. Well, if it isn't cow farts destroying the atmosphere its people flushing the wrong stuff down the toilets.
 But not to worry, legislation has been passed and went into effect today. Products must now be clearly labeled to distinguish the flushable from the non-flushable. There is a "fine to flush" symbol being introduced. By law, these products must be clearly labeled! The public will be educated on this topic. One expert determined as many as 97% of all sewer clogs are caused by these non-flushable wipes being flushed! It's an epidemic. A crisis. So much so that three other states had previously made such a requirement. A federal bill is in the making. The only stumbling block, one avoided by California, is in determining the standards. A national flushability standard must be written. It's going to take Congress to get it done.
 Turns out it's quite the issue. Several alliances, unions, and groups have been lobbying about this problem. The public is sorely lacking education about this problem. We don't know what to flush and what not to flush! People are just flushing without any thought at all! Flush happy and uncaring. But this new labeling, which will have to clearly stand out from all other writing and depictions on the packaging, will inform the public! The symbol will also be very clearly displayed, in case you can't read! They didn't mention if any provision was being made for the blind, Braille perhaps. This education should be a part of the common core curriculum! How can we live in a civilized society if we clog up the toilets? 
 Now I have worked in the sanitation business. I did hold a water and sewer license in the state of Maryland. Those credentials have expired due to my retirement. I also worked on the sanitary systems on ships when I was in the Navy. So, yes, I have some firsthand knowledge about such issues as clogs. In my experience the biggest problem is grease. Just regular old grease poured down the drain from cooking. All food service places have a grease trap installed, by law, before they can discharge into the city sewer system. All Navy ships and some city and town sewer systems have what is called a comminutor. It is basically a machine that grinds things up. The internal portion of that machinery contains rows of small cutter arms. Certain sanitary products will jam them up! It's a problem. I have no experience with those products and do not know if they are labeled or not. I always figured those using the product knew not to do that. I have seen signs requesting people to not flush those items. They do anyway, that much I know for a fact.
 I'm not saying the labeling idea is silly or crazy, there are those that I suppose just have no clue, but it will increase the cost. I question just how effective labeling will be. I'm concerned about the efficacy. It's true I haven't heard of anyone else being burned by hot coffee since that warning was mandated, guess that is working. But on the other hand, I hear a lot of things should just be allowed because people are going to do it anyway. The law, a type of warning label, should be ignored. They are going to do that anyway. I just find it amusing I suppose. I sure wish I could write on my resume, President, Responsible Flush Alliance. I'm saving the infrastructure one flush at a time. 

                                                           




No comments:

Post a Comment