Thursday, January 20, 2022

in defense

  I wrote some time back this statement: peace can only be achieved when there is a commonality of culture. I was rebuked by some, and quotes thrown at me to support a different position. I was encouraged to read what another scholar had to say and reject my own thought or conclusion. I will use the archaic meaning of the word scholar in this instance, a scholar being a student. I am a student and make no such proclamation of being a scholar. I'll leave that label for others. The thoughts of everyone carry equal weight in my world. That doesn't mean I will agree with those thoughts, or adopt those thoughts as my own, just that they carry equal merit. And this is where culture enters the discussion. Yes, some will call it an argument. That's what attorneys do, argue. What is an argument? It is a line of reasoning in support of an idea. Ideas form the basis of culture. In truth, it is belief. When you believe your ideas are the correct ideas, the reasoned response to a situation, it becomes what you believe. 
 "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation" Are those words familiar to you? They are the last sentence in the opening paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. The document goes on to explain, in detail, just what the beliefs of those "colonists" are. The commonalty of culture had been fractured by the crown. Abuses were everywhere. A significant portion of the colonists banded together, in a common bond, to oppose the repression of the government. Yes, independence was the prize! It's true that not everyone was on board, some unwilling to risk their lives, their fortunes or their sacred honor! That was their opinion. We have traditionally admired the ones that chose otherwise. Today however the narrative has changed. It is what we are calling cancel culture. 
 It has been the commonalty of culture that made this country great. A culture of independence. Contrary to what we are being told these days, this country has been the land of opportunity. My own third great grandfather emigrated to this country from Germany. He came for the opportunity to improve his condition. Eventually he gained citizenship, served in the civil war, and acquired property. He earned every bit of it. He came to America to become an American. And what is an American? A person that believes in the idea of freedom! A person that understands and accepts that independence, freedom, is not free. It isn't something granted, given or bought. It is something earned! And that, that is the commonalty of culture that I am talking about. 
 It's my thinking that many are confusing just what culture is. Arts, customs, lifestyle and habits form culture. In anthropology culture is knowledge passed from one generation to the next, what we may call traditions. In the United States, since the very beginning, anthropological culture has always been celebrated. It is cultural differences, differences in belief of a moral nature that has always caused friction. America was founded on a moral basis, on religious traditions and belief. It is the very reason there is no state sponsored religion! There is freedom of religion, freedom to believe whatever you want to believe. It is only when you attempt to impress your beliefs on others that the friction begins. That is where argument begins. 
 My argument is contained in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the bill of rights. I also draw upon the thoughts expressed in the Federalist papers. I am an American. I was fortunate to be born in this nation and am entitled to citizenship by that act of circumstance. I became an American! I believe in the America that was a melting pot. It is that "melting" that formed an alloy, the alloy called an American. It wasn't a rejection of other cultural ideas, other traditions, it was combining. We formed that common bond. 
 The statue of President Theodore Roosevelt has been removed from the museum of Natural history. Why is that? It is just another example of cancel culture. Roosevelt despite his efforts to preserve the nation lands, he did create Grand Canyon national park and others, is being vilified by those that would negate his accomplishments. What is his big sin? This statement is apparently what is so offensive:  “In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.  Yes, that is the big issue. What is he saying? He is advocating for a commonalty of culture. He wants everyone to be an American. In other passages he addresses the whole hyphenated American thing. There can be no such thing! I agree with Teddy. The bottom line is easy to understand. If you want freedom you have to give up something, it isn't free. Many have given their life. I stand in defense of America. Sounds melodramatic, I know. But it is the reason I say the things I do, sometimes even when that is unpopular. I will argue in defense of America. Fight if I have to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment