Monday, January 31, 2022

deal with it

  Spotify announced they will now post a "warning" on pod casts in response to Neil Young and others withdrawing their music from the platform. Personally, I found it amusing that artists were canceling themselves over what Joe Rogan says. I have to admit to having never listened to a thing he has said. I had to Google him to know who he is. Apparently, these singers think that he is spreading covid misinformation. I wonder how removing their music from Spotify is going to change a thing. I listen to Spotify for my workout music and that's all I use it for. I wasn't aware they did podcasting too. But I guess I'm just old and out of the loop. Whenever someone started talking about stuff I don't like or agree with, I usually turn them off. I don't stop talking myself though, I just keep on talking. Guess I've been doing that wrong all these years. Well, life didn't come with a disclaimer when I was born! Nope, my life came with instructions; deal with it! 
 I will say I have the same attitude as when Facebook chooses to censor my posts. I've been in FB jail a couple times. I do think they have eased up a bit on that though, now I see where you get restricted, moved down in the feed or whatever. It's their party, their platform and free to use. They could tell me to shut up or block me if they want too, their prerogative. I can choose to not use their platform as well. So, if Spotify wants to add a disclaimer, a warning or notice on their podcasting it's their business. I'm only using the free part anyway and as a result I have to listen to the advertisers, that's the price I pay. I don't really listen to them though. 
 When I heard about the action Spotify is taking in response, I thought about warning labels. Are they concerned about being sued? That's the usual reason for any disclaimers or warning labels. We have reached the point where we need warnings that say things like, HOT, it may burn you. That comes in response to someone being burned and suing because they didn't know that! And now we need to be warned that someone might say something you don't agree with or may not be the absolute truth! OMG, others may have a different opinion! We need to post a warning about that. The intent is to so insulate people that they cannot be offended by anything! What if Joe Rogan challenges the main stream media? What if he questions? Mustn't question anything anymore. We have got it all figured out! That's what CRT is all about, got that figured out. And this Covid stuff, we got that all figured out too! Mustn't question the science behind that! Hey, you know how much money was spent in developing that? The "cure" I mean. Vaccines and boosters all around people, trust the science. 
 Yeah the old hippies that I grew up with, and listened to, have changed. Well to be honest I was never a big fan of Neil Young, he had a few good songs but that's my opinion. Does he now believe he is so important, so revered, that his songs shouldn't be on the same station as Joe Rogan? He can cancel Joe? I don't think so. Take your songs, your music, and just go home Neil if that is what you want to do. That's how I feel about that. As far as Spotify bowing down and caving into that, it's their business. Personally, I wouldn't have done that, plenty of other music to stream. I certainly wouldn't have validated Neil Youngs ticket! Nor would I do that for any other musician as far as that goes. Yeah my only disclaimer should I control a format, a station, channel or whatever you want to call it would be, " this is a free speech platform: DEAL WITH IT"  

No comments:

Post a Comment