Monday, January 3, 2022

farewell

 I received a punch to the gut yesterday. That is exactly the way I felt after reading a post from a very old and dear friend. His wife passed away in her sleep. I knew her well from over fifty years ago, when we were both just teenagers. It took my breath away as a wave of sorrow swept over me. My world just got a bit smaller, another bit of the past eroded and gone. May she rest in peace, secure in her faith in the lord. 
 I haven't seen or talked to her in fifty plus years, that is true. I will not be able to attend any services for her either. All I can do is extend my sincerest condolences to my old friend; it seems so inadequate. I cannot imagine the pain, the hurt, the loss he must be feeling at this time. Thankfully he has his family close at hand and I know there are many that will offer whatever condolences they can. It is a stark reminder of the fragility of life. Such things strike without warning.
 This morning I am struggling with the thought of saying goodbye. I have discovered with age that obligation comes along more frequently. I've learned that the obligation is to yourself! It is the only way forward. And so, I am thinking about my friend and his obligation to say goodbye. I pray for him to have that strength, that conviction of truth that will carry him through. I know that he and his wife are religious people with a deep belief in God. I know, I went to church services with them, sang in the church choir with them, attended Sunday school with them, and made my first communion with them. Their faith is unfaltering. I pray it carries Tommy through. 
 I'm certain Patty has gone to her just reward and is at peace. I will miss her despite not having been in her presence for fifty plus years. Whenever my thoughts wander to her, they will now be accompanied with the knowledge that she is gone. A chapter ended; a book closed. All that remains are memories. She has joined the others, those that reside in my memories, in my past, and in my heart. She is home now, waiting. 

Farewell to thee! but not farewell
To all my fondest thoughts of thee:
Within my heart they still shall dwell;
And they shall cheer and comfort me. (Anne Bronte)         

1 comment:

  1. Rest peacefully Patty. Give Yogi and Eddie a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete