Sunday, September 20, 2020

what I'm seeing

  There are days when I think I'm watching the end of the parade. It isn't that I feel like I'm close to being over, not that feeling, but rather life the way I know it is coming to an end. Some would call it progress, others call it change, while I just think it's all just slipping away. I know what Max meant in the movie Dirty Dancing when he said that line, it's like it is all just slipping away. Or could it be like Merle Haggard asked, are the good times really over for good. It's the same sentiment I believe, same emotional response. It's a sadness. There is still hope for tomorrow but I'm sad to see this one go. There will never be another quite like it. I wonder if America can regain her stature in the world. America was created by brave men and women working together. It couldn't have happened any other way. But now, now I'm seeing a rewriting of that history, a denial of the past. The model that was used in that creation is being modified, changed to suit the current agenda and narrative. The very idea that there are Americans is being challenged. You hear many hypenated Americans but few straight up claims to being an American! I'm an American born and bred and I am not ashamed, afraid, or hesitant to say so. The color of my skin or my economic standing has nothing to do with that! 
  You know there are days when I feel like I'm watching the end of the parade and I know why. What's usually at the end of the parade? The horses are, and for good reason. What do they leave behind? Well I'm seeing an awful lot of that these days so I figure it must be the end of the parade! But the hope is it will get cleaned up. It's going to take some work, it's getting pretty deep. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't argue with that sentiment of yours. We ALL see it...but once we get the dictator off his own pedestal, we may be able to build back some of what we knew as civility and respect for others. There sure isn't much of that these days. Changes will come, no doubt, and it will, indeed take some time to restructure and renew our old American values. I have hope, and a strong belief, that once djt is toppled, we'll be on our way back to the future. Otherwise, it will be the 'end of the parade' with just more of the horse droppings he's given us in the last 4 yrs... and worse.

    ReplyDelete