Wednesday, September 30, 2020

the things we do

  I am making a conscious effort to avoid commenting on political subjects. Make no mistake I have plenty of opinions but have grown tired of expressing them to no end. So, for now I have decided to just be a liberal and think about rainbows and unicorns. I will not concern myself with facts or the truth, I'll just hum loudly as I spin my fidget spinner. I did watch last nights argument and went to bed following that wondering what I had just witnessed. There was, in my opinion, no winner in that fiasco. Still not commentating on political issue here, just saying. I watched a three way argument. What office is Chris Wallace running for? He sure wasn't moderating anything. I was, to say the least, disappointed with that show. 
 The last few days I have working on my porch project. I decided to strip the paint and redo it. I live in an upstairs apartment and have a porch facing the street. Now there is some debate about whether it is a porch or a deck. Typically a porch is on the front of the house and leads to the front entrance of the home. They are usually covered and may provide a space for eating and socializing. A deck however is located at the back of the house. They are not typically covered and may or may not provide entry to the home. Both of those are usually on the ground floor. So, is it a porch or a deck? I call it my front porch it's just a really high step to the street level. Well whatever you want to call it I have been sanding that flooring. Using a variety of tools, a belt sander, an angle grinder, and a sanding block I am making progress. All that noise serves to drown out the world, one I'm growing weary of hearing. Can't wait for next year when some of this will have calmed down. Anyway I decided to paint that flooring Garland Green. That color is just a bit darker than hunter green. I wonder how you get the job of naming all those colors? I was fascinated as a kid with the 64 colors of Crayola crayons, paint chips can entertain me for an hour or more just reading the names. I have just about six more boards to go to complete that process.  
 Earlier this year I built a Catio. That's a patio for a cat. Some of you may remember that. I can now say Morris seems to enjoy that a great deal. He usually goes out there in the morning and early afternoon. I've watched him just sitting there staring at who knows what for quite a while. At other times he is taking a nap in the sun. It does have a swinging door that allows him to go in and out as he pleases. It's amazing to me how quickly he can now enter and exit. There are times when he runs down the hallway and almost dives through that door. The Catio is on the back of the house and is uncovered, well except for a wire cage that is. From a distance the wire is hard to see and you can be fooled into thinking it isn't there at all. I had one person ask me, won't he jump off that? Yes, I'm certain he would if he could. I'm waiting to see what he does when it snows outside, what will he do then? I would make a larger, more complex Catio but the wife isn't thrilled with that idea, feeling what he has is sufficient. We'll see. 
 I noticed some leaves are starting to turn and some are starting to fall. Grass cutting is coming to an end soon and I'm anxious for that to happen. I have the lawn tractor project up next. I do not have a heated workshop and so must work outside. Naturally I'm wanting to get it done before it's too cold. The paint has begun to chip off and rust is taking its' place. I need to sand that down, prime and paint. My equipment for doing that is limited. No compressed air supply, all painting will be done with spray cans. It'll serve the purpose but no show finishes. I'll also service that mower before putting it up for the winter. It could really use a new deck but the cost of that is just silly, might as well buy another mower. Well, these are some of the things that occupy my time when I'm not commentating on life and politics or reminiscing. So, for now, that's a part of my world, what's going on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment