Thursday, September 3, 2020

taking a knee

 When it makes no difference whether you go to work or not that should tell you something about your job. That is to say, whether that job is essential. Seems pretty obvious to me anyway although there are some that seem to be confused by that. I'm thinking about these professional athletes boycotting their job. I'd say if you can do that, your job isn't really very essential at all. In that situation it is important to understand that you can do that only because you have sufficient funds to do so. You could boycott your job until you were broke and there would still be no immediate need for your "services." That's simply because the only service you provide is entertainment. The only "essential" service provided by you is created by my desire. Take away my desire to be entertained, and you are forgotten, discarded as unnecessary and having no further value to me. Like a sled in summer, you are forgotten.
 Do these professionals realize just who they are hurting the most by these protests? I don't think they do. They are hurting all those that have provided them with the support, the services, the necessities they require. All the trainers, coaches, and other support staff that cater to these entitled brats. And a good portion of them act that way. As much as I enjoy watching a game of baseball or football it is only a minor inconvenience to me. Play, don't play, whatever, I've got plenty of other things to amuse me. It doesn't hurt me financially in the least. Being the average Joe I'm quite used to people saying no. That's what it amounts too as far as I'm concerned. Is there a game today? No, they decided not to play today. The operative word there being, play. My response will be, okay. What has been denied? Nothing to concern myself with that much is certain.
 Why aren't they playing? They are protesting because life isn't fair. These folks that were blessed with the talent to play a game on a professional level are complaining about things not being fair. These folks that will be millionaires by the age of forty, almost without exception, for playing a game are upset by life not being fair. These folks that have been fawned over, coddled and catered too since they were sixteen years old or so are complaining. The same people that will spend their retirement years signing autographs and being paid to endorse products they know nothing about. The same people that will be celebrated for what they used to be! And they are going to tell me, life isn't fair. And for that, they aren't going to play today. Okay.
 It gets attention, you can't deny that. The problem is, it usually gets you the wrong kind of attention. I don't get why these mostly "college educated" folks can't figure out a basic principle of human nature. If you want me to agree with you, don't start out by making me mad or insulting me. Withholding whatever it is that you control will not gain my compliance, at least not immediately. Depending upon what is being withheld the strategy may eventually work. Withhold something essential, like food, water, housing, money, that sort of thing, I may capitulate. Withhold some entertainment and that isn't happening, at least not with me it isn't. I would have thought by now it would have become obvious. Take the whole kneeling thing during the National anthem. If these "players" had simply chosen a different time to stage this protest it would have been met a lot differently. But no, they choose to insult, to offend, and to disparage instead! The whole time they insist upon others "respecting" their beliefs they dismiss everyone else's! They could have chosen to "take a knee" before the playing of that anthem. They could have chosen to "take a knee" following that anthem. They could have chosen to "take a knee" in place of the halftime show! But they didn't, they choose to trample upon my beliefs, my values, my tradition, instead and act surprised when I get upset! Did you really believe I would listen?
 When your job is entertainment the best policy is always to keep the audience happy. It's like selling a burger, make sure it is prepared well and presentation counts! You want me to listen to you act like you care about my feelings. Don't forget your job depends upon that. Yes, your job depends upon me being entertained and happy. When I am not, I will abandon you! For the majority of you "players" you should remember another basic fact. After your "playing" days are over most of you will be forgotten names. You will be able to say, I used to play. The response will be, no kidding, that's cool. And most people won't know or care what team , what sport, it was. You will be just another, used to be, like the rest of us. And for me I remember what used to be. I remember when sports figures were heroes, people to look up to as an example, people to admire. Those days are long gone now, relics of the past. Their humanity on full display they have been exposed. What a shame. It's like telling a small child Santa Claus isn't real, the dream is crushed, hopes dashed to the ground. We all suspected that was the case but we held onto a dream, for a while. Looks like we have lost our grip. And you know what, it isn't fun anymore. But I'm not "taking a knee" to this reality, I'm standing up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment