Tuesday, September 15, 2020

take a closer look

 At what point does protest turn to insurrection? That is a question we are facing at this very moment. Insurrection is defined as: a violent uprising against an authority or government. In my opinion we are certainly seeing violent uprisings against authority, namely against law enforcement. The cry is against police brutality. This brutality is being directed at one group, at least that is the narrative. To be specific the cry is the police are shooting black people due to racism. Without getting into the whole thing, the actual numbers do not support that at all. The truth is more white people are shot and killed by the police than any other group. But perception is a powerful thing and that is the perception. A perception that is being bolstered by the main stream media on almost an hourly basis. And furthermore, violent protests (riots) are being excused by that same media. They will not call it by its' name, which is, insurrection. We have political candidates publicly saying this will continue, and that it should continue. Well, that it should continue as long as the current administration is in office. Although I haven't heard anyone explaining how they will "fix" the problem. The only thing I'm hearing is that the law shouldn't be enforced. That is to say, let the people riot! Any attempt to quell this insurrection will be met with more violence, more riots, indeed with a "civil" war. 
 Now I can certainly understand the outrage and the anger against a group that is perceived to be targeting specific individuals. Still, we have to understand that it is a perception, not necessarily the reality. As I pointed out, the actual numbers belie that story. But even if they did support that narrative what is the cure? We have to identify the issue first. What is the issue? Systemic Racism is the response I'm hearing. As though that is some prerequisite to becoming a police officer, you have to be racist or at a minimum, allow that racism to exist as part of the organization. Finding the actual number of minorities represented in law enforcement is a difficult process. I took a quick look at that and quickly realized there appears to be no consensus. But I don't believe those minorities, regardless of number, would just blindly go along with that. So, my feeling is this; there is no systemic racism present in the police department. There are those that hold racist views that are police officers. There are people that hold racist views in every profession, every walk of life. And, I should point out, racists come in all colors! Never have I heard that a black police officer shooting a white suspect has been accused of doing so for racial reasons. Yes, black police officers shoot white suspects. Interesting to note is that black unarmed suspects are far more likely to be shot by a black officer than a white one. Just a statistical fact, nothing more. So, how do we fix this? Is it by defunding the police department? Or do we just ask the question before hiring, are you a racist? 
 What I'm talking about here are perceptions. Perception is not only what we see but what we are told. The evening news certainly gives us a perspective of the world outside our own. I've never been to Portland but I have a perception of that city now, and it isn't a good one. Then there is a matter of trusting what we do see. There are some that complain mightily about that, how wrong that is. When it comes to policing they call it profiling. And that is a bad thing. It's a good thing if you are trying to figure out who a serial killer is, but a bad thing to do when you see someone on the street. Just because they look the part, doesn't mean it's their character. I said that in this fashion, " do not project an image and then complain about what people see" and I believe that is a portion of the problem. But you created a perception and it's real to me. Is it real? I don't know, I can only go on what I see. 
 I have no answers for this, any of it. I only know how human beings are, I know because I'm one of them. I've been around a while in many different situations. Far from isolated in my little corner of the world I have been out there. I'm no different than anyone else, I react to what I see and hear. I have been misled, deceived and just plain wrong. I've also been 100% correct in my assessment. Experience helps in that area. But I have no answer. How do you stop racism? Isn't that what these "protests" are supposed to be about? We will protest until you stop being a racist! And how will you know that? Is it when you can do whatever you like, whenever, and to whoever you like unquestioned, unimpeded, and without accountability? Is that the proof? If these protests aren't about racism what are they about? Nothing can or will change racism! It is an individual thing and can only be resolved individually. You can't "defund" it. You can't "make it illegal". You can't just say, "it's wrong" and everyone agrees and just forgets about that. You can't do it by burning, looting, destroying property and lives. You can't win that in a war! 
 I just want to know. What is the end game here? What is going to be accomplished by insurrection? If racism is the issue will that be defeated? Racism may very well be the motivation, but what I'm interested in is the product. What will be gained? It is really as I have said a few times in the past," emotions are great motivators, seldom good guides. " Where are you going?  

No comments:

Post a Comment