Tuesday, September 22, 2020

milestones and millstones

  Today is the first day of fall, made it through another summer, that makes 67 of them. Today is also the birthday of my granddaughter. That happened eighteen years ago. It's definitely an eye opener. Where have all those years gone? We often say that seems like yesterday but I'm here to say, it doesn't. It seems like eighteen years ago given all that has transpired. It's really quite a beginning to a story. Morgan was born with some physical challenges which have required surgeries. She has preserved through all of that and just soldiered on. Never complaining of any limitation, any obstacle in her course, she has just kept moving forward. If you were looking for a symbol of strength, look no further. And you will not hear of any of that from her, she seldom says a word about any of that. 
  Her wish for her birthday is to get a tattoo. Her Dad is taking her to get what she wants. He can't say much about that as he has quite a few himself. I gave her my grandfatherly advice on all of that and it feel on deaf ears. I'm not surprised, when we are young we are often deaf. I can say there were plenty of times I should have listened a bit closer. But it is a sign of the times, the current fashion. Man has been tattooing himself since the very beginning of civilization. The proliferation of the practice is only limited by social acceptance. Quite common today and accepted almost universally. I still feel like there are going to be a lot of silly looking grandma's and grandpa's in the not too distant future. The reason is simple enough and one George Burns talked about, as you age your skin tends to not fit so well anymore. The "canvas" no longer stretched, the artwork suffers.
  With the fall the cooler temperatures have arrived. That means turning on the heat, something us old people talk about. I have electric heat and the bill is substantial. I remind myself that I don't have to chop wood or shovel coal and so shouldn't complain. My grandparents did both of those activities as a daily chore. I particularity recall my grandmothers house. She had that big old cast iron cook stove in the kitchen. That was the primary source of heat for her. She burned wood and coal in that stove. She did have a kerosene heater in the parlor but rarely used it, only on the coldest of days. She would bank the fire before going to bed, and stoke it up in the morning. The fire in the stove seldom went out, even in the summer months. All I have to do is turn a dial, I could upgrade, get a smart thermostat and adjust it on my phone. That's getting a little carried away though. 
  The mums are in the stores and farm stands, the last vestiges of warm weather. Mums do signal the coming of the cold, probably why they are all huddled together themselves. Every notice how closely together those stalks are? And the buds are nestled in there with a green blanket around them. Dried corn stalks will stand guard and pumpkins are everywhere. Yes, it is time to pack up the summer. This year campaign signs join in. I'll be glad when that season is over. Well, another season, another year is coming to an end. Time marches on as the saying goes. My granddaughter is 18 today. Dang. Another milestone has been reached. 
  Milestones and millstones are what we encounter everyday. Celebrate the milestones, leave the millstones behind. That's my advice. The past can become a millstone if you allow that to happen. I look back with a smile, remembering all the good times, the milestones passed. We made it this far! I'm taking that as a positive. What milestone will be reached next? None of us know until we get there. The secret is kept until then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment