Saturday, September 5, 2020

a beginning

 The problem, as I see it, is that we are having difficulty getting past the aphorisms. I see those jewels, those tid-bits of wisdom on Facebook, day after day. Everyone agrees on their validity, but no one agrees on their actual meaning. But I think they are posted solely because of that fact. No one wants to argue about the saying, everyone argues about the meaning. That's what I said but it isn't what I mean. I have posted this in the past, " there can be no discussion" and I think that is still the case. The mindset is the same as an angry parent, this discussion is over! And the reason is simply, because I said so. Empirical evidence notwithstanding this is the fact of the matter, I said so.
 You see, the problem with aphorisms is the acceptance of truth. That can be a problem for some when the truth runs contrary to the agenda. Yes, the truth can get in the way. The current "mantra" if that is what you want to call that, is Black Lives matter. Of course the aphorism is, All Lives matter. but that isn't what they want to say. No, the Black Lives matter movement was intended to raise social awareness. Life, for blacks in America, isn't fair. That's basically what they are saying. The justice system is against them all. Through not fault of their own, just being black, that is the root cause of the injustice. And, there can be no discussion about that to the contrary. None, zero, zip and that is because, they said so. It has even been labeled as systemic racism. It's part of the system! Constitutional amendments, along with numerous other pieces of legislation have specifically addressed that issue, not just for blacks, but for every race. But there is no legislation for " fair. " For me even to suggest that there are other issues will get me labeled as a racist. I'm fully aware of that. No matter how much I say otherwise, all that I say will be dismissed as racist, simply because I'm white. 
 But no one is calling that systemic racism and you have to ask why? Can not the black population in America also contain systemic racist attitudes? And that is what we are really talking about here, attitudes. There are no laws that oppress, deny, or otherwise impede the social, political, or financial ambitions of any race. In fact, it could be argued the opposite is true. There are many programs that benefit " minorities" in this nation. Our Congress contains a full 22% minority representatives. !2% of the American population are black. 49.7% of the population is white. Well, that is unless you also count "white hispanics" and isn't that an interesting term? Cultural appropriation? Not when a Latino person chooses to call themselves white it isn't. But it is an official category, interesting. 58.7% of the prison population is white, including Hispanic-Americans. Is that fair when only 49.7% of the population is white? Seems disproportionate doesn't it? But it is at this point where the division begins, the excuses explained and the unfairness of the judicial system will be shown. That's how it works.
 I don't know, I wandered off topic a bit as I often do. What I started out saying was we need to get past the aphorisms and discuss the real issues. I tire quickly of the pc phrases, the platitudes, all the I understand how you feel stuff and just be honest with each other. I'm tired of the, you don't know how it is to be, you fill in the blank. You're right I've never been a woman, never been anything but white, I'm heterosexual and Christian. I don't know what it is like to be anything else, so what's the point? The only point is you wish to present an irrefutable argument, an aphorism, as though that settles the issue. It is at that point that there can be no discussion. You see an aphorism is the truth to the one observing, not necessarily anyone else. That is where the discussion should begin, not end. 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment