Wednesday, September 2, 2020

a skeleton

 I was cleaning up the attic a bit, sorting things out, decluttering. I'm sure you know how it is, after a while you do begin to throw out stuff you had saved for one reason or another. The time comes to let go. While going through some boxes I rediscovered something that has been in the family for over 75 years now. In all those years it has remained tucked away, out of sight. It will definitely remain that way. You see, this article is a war "prize" if that is the word you would use, I can't think of anything else to call it, memento doesn't seem right. Exactly who captured this "prize" and brought it home is a bit of a mystery, although family lore says it was my Uncle. There is no one left living that would know the answer to that question and so it will remain that way forever. All I know is that this article has been presented to me as the genuine article, a relic from the past, one taken with pride at the time but now remains sequestered. The reason for that is obvious once the article is revealed. It is in that my dilemma resides. What should I do with this? 
 A few years back  I was going through some things of my fathers'. Among his war mementos was a small booklet. Not reading Japanese I didn't know exactly what this was but had been told it was a pay record. Having no personal attachment to this article, how he came to get it I couldn't say as he never mentioned that, I decided to attempt to return it. After writing a few e-mails to the Japanese consulate and sending a fax of this booklet it was determined that was indeed what it was. I offered to send this article back to Japan and perhaps the descendant of whomever it belonged to. I did mail it to the consulate and after a few months had passed I received word. They had found a descendant of the soldier and had returned that to them. The family did not wish to be known but sent their gratitude to me for having returned it. I felt like I had done the proper thing. I sincerely hope that it brought their loved one home, if only for a moment. I can only imagine the emotion one might feel. 
 Now this other article I have I just don't know what to do with. I can't bring myself to just toss it out, it is a piece of history. Yes it's fair to call it a historical artifact no matter how upsetting it may be. The symbol on that is immediately recognizable and causes an immediate reaction. That is why it has been tucked away, out of sight, all these years. This article is a flag. At least that's what I would call it although it wasn't made to be flown from a flagpole as there are no grommets along the edge. This flag was meant to be attached to a wall. I haven't measured it but estimate it to be five foot by seven foot or possibly larger. To be honest about it just handling it gives me the creeps. If you haven't guessed yet, this flag is a Nazi flag. It's extra creepy knowing it is the genuine article, brought back from Germany along about 1945 or so. Who knows what horrors that flag hung over. The history of that flag is an unknown, just that it is reputed to be the genuine article. 
 I expect there are experts about such things, people that could verify the authenticity but what's the point? I mean I can't see any value in that article, at least not to me. And the thing is, I wouldn't want to associate with anyone that would want that thing! I'm quite certain there are plenty of those in museums and such places as appropriate. They are a piece of history after all, but not a history to be proud of. I wouldn't sell it to anyone. If they are willing to pay good money for that I don't want to be associated with them. So you see the problem here? What to do with that. I don't want to just toss it in the trash, I certainly don't want to display it, and so I keep it out of sight. I even hesitated to mention this at all in this blog as people are quick to jump to conclusions. That combined with my German surname, the first part being Reich, may not be such a good thing. My German ancestors arrived on this shore in 1856 and have served the nation in every war since. I know that, others may jump to conclusions that are 100% wrong. I'm a bit hesitant to make any inquiries about the thing, at all. 
 I guess the only thing to do is keep it stored away. Perhaps I should write a small paper explaining  how it came to be in my possession. I wouldn't want it left to speculation. Well, I have this discussion with myself each time I "rediscover" that piece of history. I have put it away once again and I will soon put it back in the far reaches of my mind. A skeleton in the closet? No, it's not that. I don't know for certain and never will but I have my thoughts. I figure that flag was taken off some wall in Germany after the allies captured the town. It was taken as a "prize", as the spoils of war. Brought home as a trophy! Brought home in the heat of the moment and the times. Proof positive of the bravado, the manhood, and the courage of the man who took it! Family lore says it was my Uncle and I have no reason to doubt that story. My Uncles all served in that war. It was in my Great Grandfathers home, the home my Uncle returned to after the war, so it seems likely. Brought home as an honorable thing. And that is the strangest part of it all, such a disgusting thing. but a part of history. We shouldn't destroy history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment