Tuesday, December 17, 2019

lower the price

 I saw an article where the Hallmark channel was airing a commercial with lesbian brides kissing one another. According to the article the Hallmark channel had received over a million protests concerning that. The last article I saw about that said they removed them. I admit to not having seen them or if I did paying attention to that. Not that I watch the Hallmark channel all that often you understand. I did have the impression that the Hallmark channel was a bastion of traditional family values and American culture. That perception has now been altered. All is apparently not as it appears. If what the article says is fact, they are now showing gay marriage as a natural and normal thing, that does change that perception. Has the Hallmark channel now decided that Love is Love? Well, I agree. Love is Love but Love doesn't mean sexual activity! And for me that is a distinction not to be overlooked. But I'm not going into that discussion this morning. 
 I'm not going to preach about morals, ethics, or religious values. I'm not going to point out that engaging in homosexual behavior is an aberration of societal norms. No, I'm not going to talk about that because that isn't what the Hallmark channel based that decision on. That is to say the decision to air such movies. That decision was based solely on economic considerations. We need viewers! The only way the channel stays on the air is by being profitable. That's the reality. All other considerations take the hindmost! Yes I find it a bit upsetting but I'm not surprised by it at all. I've been paying attention over the years. I've been watching as all this " inclusiveness " permeates society. In general it has been quite profitable. Profitable for attorneys, profitable for those willing to comply, profitable in many ways. It sure hasn't done much for the moral fabric of our society but it has made a profit. And that's the motivation here, profit. 
 For the Hallmark channel it's all about viewership. That is a simple economic reality. I don't believe anyone has a valid argument to the contrary. It is an indicator. Apparently the viewership needed bolstering and that is one avenue to take. Taking the moral high ground wasn't an option. I wonder if that is based on the Neilsen ratings? If so that just goes to show that the majority of people aren't watching the " wholesome " programming being offered. Of course we do have thousands protesting the objectifying of women while they purchased 50 million copies of Shades of Grey! I'm not saying the public is fickle though, just that entertainment comes first. Look all I'm saying is I've watched the church go from supporting the 94 verses in the Bible about man shall not lie with man, and the one hundred verses about woman shall not lie with woman, to having Gay priests and performing Gay marriages. Did that have anything to do with attendance? I can't say for sure but it appears logical. As attendance ( viewership ) decreases the format has to change. When I was young it was the introduction of guitar playing hippies in the sanctuary. Today they have full rock and roll bands! 
 You could say as long as the message gets across the messenger doesn't matter. The issue there is, what's the message? Is the message , be profitable? Is that what we are now going to base our ethics upon, profitability? Majority makes the rules, right! When the rules begin to affect profit, change thre rules. I understand that and it works in business. Still you must remember that you get only what you pay for. The big question is, what are you buying? Then having decided that you have to ask, is it worth the price? A bargain today to last an eternity? I don't know, in my experience you get only what you pay for. Quality comes at a price, some would call it sacrifice. If you can't sell that, lower the price. 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment