Friday, December 20, 2019

in my own mind

 Epictetus said: " First learn the meaning of what you say, and then speak. " I'd say that was sound advice. Of course you first have to understand what he is saying. That's a bit of a problem with some folks these days, they only know what they are told. I think a great deal of that comes from the way society works today. We send our children to school, at earlier and earlier ages, not to teach them but to have them give the " right " answers. The problem being the answers are whatever is socially and politically correct at this particular time. After the schooling is over it's off to the work force. In that arena you are measured by your comparative " success. "  In brief, how much money you make and your position in the corporate world. That's society today. If there are any " great thinkers " or " philosophers " I sure haven't heard of them. What's popular in literature these days? The last big sensation I heard about was Fifty shades of Grey! No, I haven't read it, I haven't seen the movie nor do I have an interest in doing so. I'm not saying there haven't been great literary works being written, just that I haven't heard anything about that. But all of that is another discussion for another day. I was just struck by what Epictetus said. First learn the meaning. How do we learn the meaning of anything? Through personal experience is my answer. To truly understand you have to have experienced whatever it is you are trying to understand. Just adopting a " feeling " isn't having that feeling. You can't be taught what to feel or not to feel! As a neighbor of mine once told my son, " understanding it ain't doing it, doing it is doing it!" He said after trying to teach my son a basic knot. My son hadn't yet mastered it and was getting flustered, as Mr., Taylor ( the neighbor ) began to tell him one more time he did say, I understand. That's when Mr. Taylor made that statement. Understanding it ain't doing it, doing it is doing it.
 Now all of that was to lead you to this statement that I posted the other day on social media. " Memories are the blankets for our soul. " That response came out of me and onto the page without thought. I did think about it later on and this morning as well. I wrote that response because it is something I understand. I have learned the meaning of what I said. That's why that answer came so readily. I don't recall exactly what the posting said that prompted that response however. I do mentally give credit to whoever first posed the question that lead me to respond. I am a sentimental type and find myself increasingly so as the years pass. Memories do warm my soul, good memories.   My wife had an Uncle named George, frequent readers of these posts may recall him, that lived to be 95 years old. With limited mobility and legally blind he lived alone in his home he had purchased after WW2. He lived there with his parents until there passing. He remained there, a confirmed bachelor, until his own death. He fell down the stairs! Sounds like a sad tale doesn't it? It wasn't for Uncle George. He was always cheerful, in good spirits as they say, every time I met him. His greatest joy was in telling his stories, showing others his pictures and videos. Yes, in those later years those things, pictures and videos, were just memories to him, he couldn't see them. Still those memories warmed his soul, of that I am certain. I'm certain because I too look at old photographs and videos and feel the warmth those memories offer. It's an experience. For that reason I understand. Life could have grown cold for George but it didn't! It didn't because of his memories.
  It is our memories that stay with us, other thing may come and go, but memories, memories remain. The secret is in the way we view our memories. Are they just the things of the past, things gone? Or are they alive and well, bringing the day, the hour, or the moment alive once again? It is the later that warms our soul bringing us the warmth of life. And George loved his life. He spent his life building memories and enjoying them. I learned that from him, from his example. Memories are the blanket for our soul. We must remember whatever action we take today becomes the memory we live with tomorrow. Choose wisely your words and your actions, lest you leave yourself cold in the future.
 I see many people changing their opinions, their " learning " based solely on what is being taught. The media plays a big role in that. Whether it is the New York Times or CNN, a magazine, or social media outlets, the objective is to spread knowledge. It is a good thing, we should read and gather as much information as possible. But more importantly we should strive to learn, not just be educated! As my father was fond of pointing out, the world is full of educated damn fools. He was, of course, correct. How did he know? He learned it.
 Now I find myself posting these little quips and quotes that enter my mind, often unexpectedly. I do so for no particular reason, I hold no illusions that I can offer enlightenment. Enlightenment is an internal thing, a self discovery. It has been said it you want to know what you think, write. Perhaps I post my thoughts to Facebook and in this blog as a road to discovery. I can't be a sage. You have to be old and dead to be a sage. It also helps if you are a legend. I'm no legend, haven't done anything legendary, and am not likely to in the future. Well I will die so there is some hope. First learn the meaning of what you say, then speak. ( Epictetus )
 I think we are living in an epic time. The Republic is under attack from the left and the extreme right. A lot of rhetoric is being strewn about. We would all do well to learn the meaning of what we say. We need to think of the future, save some blankets for the future. Yes, it may give you a warm and fuzzy feeling today, but will that memory warm your soul in the future?
 My good friends would sometimes, in a teasing fashion, call me the living legend! That was many years ago now, back in my youth. Back before any thought of the future beyond the next ball game or school break. Yes a living legend, a legend in my own mind. It is a warming memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment