Tuesday, December 31, 2019

for auld lang sine

 I can't let New Years eve pass without mentioning Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadiens. They were synonymous with the celebration. I wonder how many partying tonight will never have heard of him? I imagine some won't even know who Dick Clark was. Well, I suppose that is to be expected, time marches on. But we'll all sing Auld Lang Sine, at least those words and mumble something to follow that, with the chorus being " should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind, should old acquaintence be forget for Auld Land sine "  I don't know about you  but I really don't know much of the song or what it really means. So I took to Google to find out. Auld Lang Sine literally means, Old Long Since, in the old Scottish language. There are several more verses to the poem and several chorus's. Each chorus is slightly different. It's an interesting poem, full of sentiment. It is attributed to Robert Burns but he made no claim to being the author saying he merely wrote the words down.
 As for Guy Lombardo he made his final New Years Eve appearance in 1976 playing into 1977 with that standard, Auld Lang Sine. My parents were not ones to go out for New Years, they stayed at home, and when I was younger had house parties. I'm thinking that is what the majority of the " family " people did. Well the fact is there wasn't much in the way of nightclubs within a reasonable distance of where I lived, just the local honky tonks and bars. That isn't to say those places didn't have some epic celebrations just that I believe the majority of the married with children folks stayed to home or went to another families home. Anyway, growing up, it was always Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadiens, that was New Year. I couldn't say for sure if the television stayed " on air " that late but I'm guessing they did. New Years eve in black and white!
 Things have changed that much is certain. After Guy left us, after 48 consecutive years of playing the ballroom at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, Dick Clark began to host. It was called New Years Rockin' Eve, a sort of tribute to Dick Clark and those that witnessed the birth of rock and roll. I recall my parents moaning about that, saying we have gone to hell in a handbasket! That used to happen a lot back in those days, haven't heard that one lately, now I guess we are taking Uber! Dick Clark hosted the show until 2012. A run of about 40 years! Now Ryan Seacrest, I still don't really know anything about him other than he does New Years Rockin' Eve, will be there tonight for the 47th airing of that show. He has done so, in some capacity for 14 years now. I heard where the headliner is some rapper named Post Malone! Never heard of him. Post Malone? First question is who is Malone and did he die? I don't know.
 Well Happy New Year no matter how you celebrate or where. I've seen another decade go by and the more things change the more they stay the same. We are still going to hell in a handbasket! Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind? Sometimes that is for the best. The second verse of that old Scottish poem goes something like this, " And surely you'll buy your pint cup, and surely I'll buy mine, and we'll take a cup of kindness yet, for Auld Lang Sine. " 

No comments:

Post a Comment