Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Understand?

 Eighteen years ago and I speak of it as though it were yesterday. I believe it will always be so. I am also aware we now have a congressperson that says, " somebody , did something " and is given a pass on that. There is little I can write about that horrific day that hasn't been written many times over. What words can be chosen to describe the indescribable? Yes, I remember exactly where I was and how I got the news. I will never forget.
 When I was young I would hear the " old " people talk about the war. That war was WW2. That was the war and no one needed to specify that. If you were in; the war, that's the war they were talking about. Korea would be mentioned specifically and there was an underlining tone to that, a bit different than the war. As a kid I didn't understand that at all. What difference does it make? The difference could be explained by one word; Pearl. It was that sneak attack on a Sunday morning by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor that was the difference. It wasn't that somebody did something! No, it was the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor! That was the reason for the war and it was more than justified.
  Eighteen years after that attack I was six years old. Now I can't say I remember much about being six but I can say people remembered Pearl. I went to parades, especially on Memorial Day and the war was spoken of. Poppies were everywhere, flags were flying and the troops remembered. I don't believe anyone in Congress attempted to minimize any of that! Granted it was a different time in America, different attitudes prevailed, it was the time of the cold war after all. Everyone had been effected by the war and it certainly wasn't forgotten. A common question was, what did you do during the war? Everyone did their part, everyone. In many ways it was a beginning of a new America. Women joined the work force and took up occupations generally held by men. Yes, the war had changed us all. There was rationing, there was hardship, and there was much sorrow.
 We tried to stay out of the war in Europe, we really did. But, the Japanese bombed Pearl and retribution was at hand! Indeed President Roosevelt declared, " But always we will remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. " And we did! And today we find ourselves in a war on terror. How can we win through to absolute victory? How do you defeat evil? How to eradicate an ideology? For that I offer no answer as much as I wish I had one. I do know it won't happen by forgetting the CHARACTER of the assault against our nation. It was an assault against humanity in general. The United States of America has always been a beacon in the darkness, a place of refuge and hope. It is that, that was attacked that day. All I can say now is, I understand. I understand what the old folks were talking about, I understand what those soldiers and sailors I spoke with were talking about, I understand the real meaning of duty and honor. I understand the need to right a wrong! I will never forget. Never     

No comments:

Post a Comment