Sunday, September 29, 2019

It's there

 I usually try to express whatever thought is on my mind and this morning is no exception. It is just that sometimes it is hard to find that one thing. There is quite a bit of clutter up there, just like the attic in my home. It is useful, good stuff, too good to be discarded but not being used at the moment. Then you have to stumble over that stuff to get to what you are looking for. You know it's there, somewhere. And that is the process I went through this morning. And here is what I found, " Discover what is unique to you, and you will find fulfillment. " That is what I found lying in the corner, covered in cobwebs. Now it is time to bring it into the light and examine it closer. Will it stand up to the test of the light?
 Now I suppose you could call that thought a self help thing. It sounds like something you would read in one of those books. I haven't read any of those books cover to cover, or been inspired by any of them. I think that is because I believe happiness and fulfillment comes from within, not from without. Certainly we can all agree that other people often get in the way of what we want. We allow that for as many reasons as we allow ourselves " exceptions " to the rules. You know what I mean by that don't you? Of course you do. It is those things that we don't share, those things that aren't hurting anyone else, which justifies doing them. We can all agree that it is the acknowledgement, by other people, that gives us a sense of satisfaction, a sense of success.
 Is success the measure of fulfillment? What I mean is do others have to validate whatever it is you are doing in order to be considered a success? Now that is true if you are creating something to be enjoyed by others. That only seems logical to me. If you are painting a picture, writing a book or playing music, those sorts of things. If no one else enjoys them, you are not successful. Well we will add unless you are doing those things strictly for yourself that is. If you exclude everyone else you are a success. Question is, does that fulfill you? Does that give you inner peace and contentment? If it does that's great but how often is that the truth? I suspect it isn't often because all of those things must be compared and evaluated against others. Is there any other way? No I don't think there is.
 My thought is, discover what is unique to you and you will find fulfillment. That premise requires you to believe that you have something unique. Do each of us have something unique to offer? Well therein lies the problem doesn't it? What is unique to the rest of the world? All the great people in the world are compared against one another. Isn't that how greatness is measured? So, is that unique? You would have to say no, just better or worse than. My thought then is telling me to find what is unique to me! It's a distinction that can easily be confused. Whatever is unique to me has no comparison. One of a kind, that's unique. Unlike anyone else or any one thing, unique. Is there anything unique about me? No, I haven't found that yet, if it exists at all. Does that mean I can never be fulfilled? I don't think so, I just need to keep looking. It's there somewhere, in the attic.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment