Tuesday, September 3, 2019

a neccesity

 When I was younger I would just set something down wherever I was done using it. You know what I mean? Whether it was a tool or something else it could be found where I last used that object. I would hear complaints about that from Mom and Dad. Later on I would hear complaints about that from my wife. Why don't you put things away? This is a mess, how can you find anything? Thing is, I could find everything. It wasn't a problem at all. I just remembered where I was using that last, go there, and there it was. I didn't understand the big deal. I wasn't sharing these items with anyone else, not like at work. Sure, at work you had to put things in a specific location so others could get them. But I'm talking about my stuff, you can just keep your hands off. Fastidious I was not. 
 Now however I'm finding that method a bit of a problem. I remember the tool or item and I remember that I have one, it's just I don't always remember where I used it last. That's a problem. So I have started putting things back! Just the way Mom and Dad told me I should. Put that back and you will know where it is the next time you need it. Now I hear myself saying just that! I'm becoming my parents. But I've learned something new. They put stuff back not because it was the right thing to do, no, they put stuff back because they couldn't remember either! It wasn't so much, doing the right thing, after all. Yeah and I'm thinking they didn't eat their vegetables either. What else was I misled on? Make your bed in the morning and wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident. I wasn't allowed in my parents bedroom when I was little, did Mom really make her bed? I just don't know. Not even thinking about underwear. 
 So now I'm thinking this whole thing about putting things away isn't solely a good practice. It is something done out of necessity. Seems it is that way with a great deal of things if you think about it. Our parents telling us it is a good habit to get into. Put things away, keep it organized and neat. What they mean is, create a familiar pattern. Do it over and over again until it becomes second nature. That way when you need the Philip head screwdriver you will automatically head for that toolbox. It's also why old people don't move the furniture around. Ever notice how old peoples houses stay looking the same. I've stepped into the 1950's and 60's plenty of times. Yup, everything has a place and everything in its' place. That's the motto of the elderly! Admit it, you find yourself doing that. You hear yourself telling others that advice. Maybe the real reason old folks talk about the past so much is so they will remember. Putting things in their place! Oh and when that milk container is empty, throw it in the trash, don't leave it in the refrigerator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment