Saturday, September 28, 2019

only in pictures

 And so I was just sitting here, minding my own business, when my wife asks a simple question. The ships you were on in the Navy are all retired now aren't they? I answer, yes, I believe they are. So now , my interest kindled I do a bit of research. I find that not only are all those ships retired, they have all been sold and scrapped. The last one was scrapped over a decade ago. That's right, over ten years ago.
 The first ship I was stationed on was the USS Pawcatuck AO-108. It was the only naval vessel to ever carry that name. She was sold to Bay Bridge Enterprises in 2005. Seems a bit ironic because I frequently drive across the Bay Bridge, although I don't know if there is a connection there or not. Following the Pawcatuck I went to the USS Puget Sound AD-38. She survived the longest having been scrapped in 2009.
 My next ship is particularly sobering as I was a member of the commissioning crew. I was there when she was being constructed. The ship was fairly close to completion by the time I was assigned. The Navy sends the crew to be trained in the new systems on board and to assist in final outfitting. On the 28th of June in 1980, she was commissioned the USS Yellowstone AD-41. She was the second ship to carry that name and the first in her class. By 1999 she was being scrapped, I had only been retired for six years.
 My last ship, the USS Nitro AE-23 made it to the scrap yard in 2008. I made my final mediterranean cruise on that ship. I went to the Arabian gulf with her. Desert shield/Desert storm. Sailed through the straits of Hurmuz, went to Diego Garcia. Decommissioned in 1995 I saw her once berthed in Philadelphia, with the rest of the reserve ships. In July of 2008 she was towed to Brownsville Texas and cut into scraps.
 All four ships are just pictures in a history book now. It's rather sad to think about. I had some good times on those ships, along with the long boring hours spent on watch. I can see the faces of my shipmates, even recall a few names. I have very few photographs, it wasn't something I did often. At the time I never thought I would like to look back, I was too busy looking ahead. Yeah I thought I was pretty old, pretty grown up. All the good stuff has to be in the future. Then I get to the future, only to look at the past. Life is ironic that way. It's not that I don't have anything to look forward too, I certainly do, it's just that I kinda miss the past; sometimes. Like when I realize all those ships that are very much alive to me, are in fact, scrap. I recently found out that my childhood home is taking that same path, it'll soon be scrap wood, if it isn't already. Out with the old, in with the new.
 Remember the USS Yellowstone AD-38, the ship I commissioned? Naval tradition  made me a plank owner of that ship. The tradition is, if you commissioned the ship you are entitled to a " plank " of that ship when it is decommissioned. It's just a tradition and I have never heard of anyone actually getting a plank, although I expect had I went to the scrapyard, Plank Owner certificate in hand, I could have obtained a small piece. At least I like to think that would be the case. Anyway, I wasn't a plank owner of my childhood home, the home was built before my birth. I was a plank owner of the fireplace however! I was there and I did help in its' construction. And I have, in my possession a brick ( plank ) from that fireplace! It was mailed to me by the current owner of the property. So I'll have a piece of home, always. Of those ships all I have are memories and a few faded photographs. I suppose everything has its' time. It's just the natural order of things. The worlds in the past are nice places to visit, I wouldn't want to live there. Well, I already did, so. I have a few pictures that hopefully will survive past my time. Just like those ships, I'll be retired one day. I hope I'm not sold for scrap though.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment