Friday, September 20, 2019

constantly

 And here we are, the kids are back in school and I woke up to temperatures in the forties. Where did that summer go? The summer of '19 is just about history. We have what, three days left? Fall arrives Monday. The arrival date can be either the 22 or 23 depending upon the year. I just realized that this year. I mean we remember the 21st as the first day of spring and winter, in their respective months, those dates don't change. But fall changes and so does summer. Well, at least I believed that the 21st was the date for spring and fall. I have discovered that is not the truth. Nope, a childhood thing I was taught has been wrong all these years. I wasn't even aware of that. I guess the date of Christmas will be changed next! Is their nothing constant in the universe? The answer is, no, there really is nothing constant in the universe. Einstein uses the speed of light as a constant so I'm sure he would correct me about that. Who could argue with Einstein? So the answer needs to be time, time is constant. Everything else changes in relation to that constant.
 I guess I just haven't been paying attention. I really did believe that the first day of spring was always the 21st of June and the first day of winter on the 21st of Decemember. My granddaughter was born on the 22 of September, the first day of fall, or so I thought. My sons were born on the 21st of December, the first day of winter, or so I thought. Turns out, that changes. Time hasn't changed however, still twenty four hours in a day. Interesting to note is if you look it up you will find that isn't exactly true either. It's a complicated scientific explanation but the length of a day does change. It involves the rotation of the earth, the atmosphere, and the core of the earth. Of course that is measured time, which is not a constant, just the speed of light is constant. Einstein theorized that if we could speed up or slow down light that would be the secret to time travel. Sounds right. Well except for the future, how can you be somewhere that hasn't happened yet? Oh, that's right you be because you sped up time. Would that mean that the same stuff happened, just faster? For that to be so you would have to also say the future, or at least future events, are constant as well. Wouldn't it all have to be predetermined? The out come I mean. Or would speeding things up change the outcome?
 Einstein himself did not believe in a God that you could pray to and have future events altered. When asked about that he replied he believed in natural events. He believed everything could be explained as a natural occurrence. His feeling that there would be a God that would intervene in the affairs of humans, was that it is naïve. He did admit however that his knowledge and all scientific knowledge was incomplete. He stated for that reason it really boils down to a matter of faith. He went on to say that every serious scientist becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the universe. A vastly superior spirit to that of man. Is that spirit light? Is that the constant?
 I woke up to a chill in the air. That chill is a reminder of change.  " While everything changes, everything remains the same as well. " ( Aristotle ) Plato countered with, " Everything changes, and nothing remains still. Both of them are pretty deep thinkers. I tend to take Plato's side on this one. Sure Aristotle said everything stays the same, as far as the universe goes it does, but not human interaction. That's why I agree with Plato. Everything is in a constant state of flux. Man can alter that state. Of course one could argue that the constant state of flux remains the same so Aristotle is correct. Well, the times they are a changin' as Bob Dylan pointed out. And now a commercial just came on using that song to sell a college education. Get that degree or you'll sink like a stone is the implication. Indeed, the times they are a changin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment