Wednesday, September 4, 2019

family, life, and mystery

 My brother in law stopped by for a short visit. He lives in Florida and is traveling to a wedding in New Jersey, so he stopped in on the way. Amazing stuff if you really consider it. The way we travel around the country I mean. We just hop in the car and go wherever. A far cry from what out grandparents may have done. Going from Florida to New Jersey would have been a major undertaking. Today, no big deal. I realize that when I was growing up I did live in a more rural area and so we were still behind the times a bit. A drive of 25 miles was considered a trip. It was a good distance to go. A drive of fifty miles or more, a journey! That didn't happen very often.
 While he was here we naturally talked about the grandkids. Hey, it's what us old folks do. The kids and grandkids and what they are up to. We shared stories and pictures. I especially enjoy telling the old family stories and sharing the photographs I have. I feel like I am keeping all those folks alive. You know they say as long as your name is spoken, you are alive. I imagine those folks smiling and laughing at my stories. I expect there are inaccuracies that prove to be an amusement. I wonder sometimes if they don't try to send messages, to correct things so to speak. Well, I don't know but it is an amusement to me anyway. There are many mysteries in the past. One day I may know all the answers. Surely there are no secrets in heaven. Or do you think there may be? No, I don't think so. Of course that is assuming I make past the gate. Yes, I believe there are borders in heaven. But, let's not get political shall we?
 We don't get many visitors. I don't know why that is, just that it is. I suppose it is just that everyone is spread out across the country. Combine that with living in a one bedroom apartment and I'm thinking that has an effect. If it were the Hallmark channel I'd live in a mansion, the family would fly in for the holidays, there would be some drama and eventually the drama is resolved. All the family members end up hugging each other and the world is made whole again. Wouldn't it be great if life and family worked that way? It's alright though, I'm not complaining. I'm still writing the story and we'll see how it all ends one day. I wonder if I will know? It's a question I have asked myself many times, will I know it when I'm dead? I mean, will I wake up one day and say, crap I'm dead! Well that's a mystery I'll have to wait to solve. I have to say, I'm in no hurry.
 Speaking of mystery my brother in law brought me a picture that is the center of a family mystery. Just who is this person? There is a back story I have wrote in the past. A synopsis of that story is this. The picture came from my great grandmothers house. When it was handed down my father, in his uniform during WW2 was showing. It was decided to change the frame. After taking the back off it there was another picture in there. This picture my sister and I took to calling the bride. Now we haven't been able to identify this lady positively. Since the picture was revealed my sister has passed away and my brother in law gave me that picture. And so now I am left to speculate as to who she may be. There is some writing on the bottom of the photograph that as yet I haven't been able to decipher. It's a tantalizing clue no doubt. I wonder if my sister now knows? If she does thus far she hasn't shared that information. I'll keep listening nonetheless.
 I'll be going out to have breakfast with my brother in law before he continues his journey. In a way it feels like a Hallmark movie. Traveling and eating out aren't something I do a lot of/ Yes, I guess I'm still a little bit country. A little bit behind the curve you might say. Pictures will be taken, memories shared. That's pretty much how it goes these days. It's a good life. Life is a mystery isn't it?
I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it. ( Fosdick )
                                                                             
Here's the bride. This is a copy and so the writing isn't visible. But isn't she beautiful?          

No comments:

Post a Comment