Sunday, June 16, 2019

sacrificing ourselves

 The seven social sins. We have all heard or read them. They are often attributed to Gandhi but he was provided that list by a priest named Frederick Donaldson. They have been written about extensively. That is as it should be as they are relevant to us all. If we all avoided those " blunders " as Gandhi called them, the world would indeed be a peaceful place. But that is the ideal and the proverbial light at the end of a tunnel. Still that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for that light. But whatever the case, I saw that list posted once again. Each time I see it I am drawn to one or the other, depending upon my mood and the current social climate. Yesterday it was the one that says, religion without sacrifice. Remember Gandhi calls these things blunders.
 I admit to not being a steady church goer, nor am I an evangelist. Still I have my faith, my belief in a power greater than myself. There has to be a creator. You don't get something from nothing. Yes, it's true, nothing is free in this world and that includes life. There is a price to be paid. It really makes little difference if that price is mandatory or self imposed, the price must be paid. The price is sacrifice. But what is sacrifice? Sacrifice is deferment to a higher power. That is what I think anyway. 
 When you surrender whatever it is you want in deference to a higher power, you are making a sacrifice. If you refuse to do that, you do not truly believe, you do not have faith. Sacrifice comes with an expectation of a return. That is where the rub comes in. Man is an impatient creature. When that promise of return comes after death, that is what really tests our belief. That has always been the challenge. You have to take my word for it! Isn't that what religion is all about? You have to take the word of God for it, whatever it is. Whatever you religious belief promises you in return for obedience to that moral authority, you do have to take their word for it. Believing is the act of compliance, faith is doing it again. The continuance of compliance is a measure of faith.
 A short time ago I wrote a blog called a more permissive faith. I was reminded of that when I read the seven social sins. Religion without sacrifice and mans' struggle to define the requirements for redemption continues. Man seeks redemption because we inherently know we fall short in the sacrifice department. We fear the unknown, that place after death, and attempt to make it comfortable to contemplate. Some choose to ignore the issue altogether, those that claim there is no life after death. For them that is the answer. No promises, no expectations. This is it! I can't help but wonder if that is their last thought before death? The party is over. I would think the sense of sadness would be overwhelming. That is what I think I will feel, sadness. I hope my faith sustains me through that process, ideally it will go untested and I will pass into the next world arriving pleasantly surprised. The big question for me is, will I know?
 Religion without sacrifice. But what if we change that requirement? The real question is, can we change that requirement? That is what I was exploring when I wrote about a more permissive faith. Maybe we don't have to defer to anyone or anything. We can change the rule. In fact we can use those rules to our advantage. We will just say we get to do whatever we want because our God forgives us, no matter what. That's what our God does! That's why he is the best God. We believe in him. Yes we should obey but its' okay if we don't as long as we ask for forgiveness, no sacrifice required. No need to maintain discipline. We'll change the rules. Our God is a loving God and therefore there is no punishment. And that is what we really want to eliminate, consequences. Sacrifice is believed to negate consequences of a negative nature. We seldom make sacrifices for good things, only when we mess up or want something for ourselves. Thing is, we should be sacrificing for the benefit of others. Now that's faith. That's a sacrifice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment