Monday, June 17, 2019

pandering

 I read a news article yesterday posted on social media. The Mayor of Baltimore, Jack Young, signed legislation for Pride month! They had their annual parade and this legislation was timed to help them celebrate. It was touted as landmark legislation and a shining example of tolerance and inclusiveness. Truly, this will make Baltimore a better place. Never mind that over sixty homicides have occurred already this year, this legislation is important.
 So what was that bit of legislation? Well, single occupancy bathrooms must now be gender neutral! Yes, if a public restroom is to be used by only one person at a time it doesn't matter what gender you are, even if you are transgender! These single occupancy restrooms must be clearly identified as such with the proper signage. It's a win for the LGBTQ community. You can use that bathroom if you are a boy or a girl or anything in between! I read that article and was immediately struck with the absurdity of it all. My immediate comment was, why don't we just put a sign on the door that says bathroom. It's one person at a time so what's the point? Why do we need a sign saying if you don't know what gender you are , you can use this bathroom? I just don't get it. I'm sorry, if you are a guy dressed as a woman isn't your intent to have others think you are a woman? So then why do you want a sign saying, I'm a guy dressed as a woman? Why draw attention to that? I just fail to see any sense in that. Well, in my opinion these gender confused people don't have a lick of sense in the first place but that's another topic.
 But, having posted a comment I did receive some rebuttal from folks. That certainly was no surprise. The one that amused me the most was a person explaining to me that it wasn't a bathroom. Nobody uses that term anymore. It was obvious that I am an American because only Americans call it a bathroom. Why if it was labeled bathroom people might be expected a tub in there. I replied if it is labeled a restroom I might be expecting a lazy-boy or a bed in there. Facilities could be confusing as well. Then I decided we needed to label it a place to perform necessary bodily functions such as the elimination of waste products from our bodies, regardless of race, creed, or sexual orientation. And of course we should include pictures for all of that. That legislation I read about requires the gender-neutral signage be posted.
 Look I was just struck by the absurdity of it all. Stick a sign on the door that says bathroom, public restroom, or whatever. People will figure it out. Well there are some that can't figure out what gender they are! They don't know whether to stand up, sit down or what. Urinals must surely be a vexation to them. I really don't care what you do in the bathroom, that's your business. And that is my point. This legislation applies to single occupancy bathrooms! Less than three per cent of the entire population of this country identify themselves as LBGTQ. And now, to satisfy the three per cent we have to post that a non-existent third gender can use the bathroom? What kind of nonsense is that? Pandering to  the community much?    pan·der
gerund or present participle: pandering
  1. gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire, need, or habit or a person with such a desire, etc.).
    "newspapers are pandering to people's baser instincts"
    synonyms:indulgegratifysatisfy, cater to, give in to, fulfill, yield to, bow to, humorpleaseaccommodate, comply with, go along with
    "David was always there to pander to her every whim"

    I can't see where you would call this bit of legislation anything else. And that's my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment