Friday, February 21, 2014

We the People

Becoming an elder statesman I begin to see things in a different light. I have begun to reach conclusions based on experience. Experience can only be gained over time, and I have put my time in. Having lived ( experienced ) divergent attitudes to life in general. I have gone from the exuberance of youth  with its' fiery passions to becoming a bit more mellow. One might even say. contemplative. I have joined and opposed social and political attitudes and views. I have adopted some and discarded others. I have changed sides on issues. In other words I have lived and hopefully grown in understanding and tolerance. It is not always a comfortable thing. Growing pains are not just for children but should be a part of of us forever. When we become too comfortable with ourselves we are probably missing something.
Over the last few years I have taken a more active interest in government. Government has impacted me along with everyone else in this nation. There are many issues that are being brought to the forefront  Many of us are voicing our opinions and displeasure. Many of us are also busy trying to be politically correct. Many quote and misquote the founding fathers and the documents they wrote. Each word and line in those documents being scrutinized. Just what did they mean ? I think the real problem is that " We The People " have become lethargic in the administering of government. Many of us are keenly aware of our right to vote and proudly claim the right to do so. I hear the brags of, I Voted, I have done my civic duty. The truth of the matter is that voting is only a portion of your civic duty. We do not elect our representatives to make decisions for us, they are only there to represent our views and desires, as the governed. Our government exists only by the will of the people. That is what a Republic is. We all know, of the people, by the people but forget we are the people ! Our representatives fail to listen to the people or seek out the opinions and desires of the people. Our representatives act in the best interest of their own agendas, or the agenda of their political affiliation. That is where government has gone off the track. The government is not controlled by the desires of the Congress, the Senate or the President. We the People control the government. Merely giving approval to a particular representative to cast a ballot on our behalf is not participating in the administration of government.
The government has become unwieldy. The reason for that is simple. The government is trying to administer to too many things unrelated to government. The government is attempting to micromanage our lives. That is not the vision of the founding fathers. That is not the vision contained with the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights or the Articles of Confederation. The premise was Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. The purpose of Government was to ensure those unalienable rights were protected. It is " We the People " that bear that responsibility. That is our civic duty.


No comments:

Post a Comment